Charlotte's POV

"Whoa." I breathed, taking in the huge black wolf standing in front of me. I knew it was Benjamin, not because I just watched him shift into a wolf, but because of the way his piercing blue eyes blinked cautiously at me.

"Ben?" I asked. He lowered his head further and placed it beneath my hand. I stroked his silky black fur and smiled.

"You're pretty." I muttered. He licked my hand and then ran off behind a tree. I heard a twig snap and then Ben walked out from behind the tree, fully clothed.

"I'm not pretty, Charlotte." He grinned.

"Yes you are." I joked, causing Ben to laugh. Before either of us could say anything else, my phone rang.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Charlotte May! It is nearly 6:30, we're about to start dinner, where are you?" My mother all but screeched into the phone. I looked to Ben with wide eyes and stuttered a response to my mom.

"I-I'm at a friends house. I'll be home soon." 

"We'll save you a plate, we're going to eat without you." She said monotonously, letting me know she was upset at me. I opened my mouth to respond, but was met with the dial tone.

"Char?" Ben asked, looking worried.

"My mom is upset that I'm going to miss dinner. She, uh, she's pretty mad." I said, looking at him blankly.

"Charlo-"

"Can you take me home?" I asked, cutting Ben off.

"Charlotte, are you go-"

"Now. Please?" I asked again. Ben sighed and grabbed my hand.

"Let's go." Ben led me through the house and out the front door. 

"I'm taking Charlotte home, don't wait up." Ben called to Dylan. He closed his front door silently and pulled me gently towards a large black Hummer H2. He pulled open the passenger door and helped me up into the seat. He walked around the front of his Hummer and climbed into the driver's seat.

"Charlotte, are you going to be okay? I don't have to take you home." Ben said, starting his car and reaching for my hand.

"Yes, I'll be fine. And, yes, you do have to take me home. If I'm not home tonight, my mom will have the entire state searching for me, just so she could kill me and bury me herself." I said, pulling my hand from his, and laying them on my lap.

"Charlotte," Ben started, pulling over on the side of the road. "You have to know that I'd never let anyone hurt you. If you feel threatened by your mother, I won't take you to her." 

This time, Ben took my hand and held it tight.

"My mom would be more upset if I didn't come home today, so can you please just drive?" He sighed and continued driving. His thumb would brush over the back of my hand every few seconds, giving me a sense of comfort.

"Give me your phone." I said, pulling my hand from his.

"What?" He asked, reaching into his pocket.

"Phone, now. Unlock it." He typed in his password and handed me his phone. I went to his contacts added my number, along with the contact name 'Char <3'. I texted myself and saved his number under 'Ben <3'. Simple, yet effective.

"What just happened?" He asked, pocketing his phone.

"I just gave you my number." I shrugged, grabbing his warm hand.

"You'll contact me if you need anything, right?" He squeezed my hand.

"Of course. If I need anything, you'll be the first to know." He brought my hand to his lips and kissed it softly. I looked through the windshield and saw my house in the distance.

"How'd you know where I-"

"Dylan was sent to make sure you were okay. He made sure you made it home safely everyday." I nodded, feeling warm inside at the thought of him worrying about me. Ben pulled up my driveway, where my mother stood, arms folded across her chest, and an angry expression painted on her face.

"Oh no." I ripped my hand from Ben's and climbed out of the Hummer.

"Charlotte!" My mom yelled.

"Mom, I can expla-" She cut me off.

"No! You leave school early, after we fought for you to graduate with your class, and go to see a 'friend'? Who is he?" She yelled, stepping towards me. I took a step back, and felt my back collide with a hard chest.

"Mrs. May, if I may-" Ben started.

"No, you may not. I was speaking with my daughter, and I'd very much appreciate it if you got off of my property." My mother said calmly, causing me to panic internally. Ben turned me around so that I was looking in his eyes.

"We can leave, right now. I can take you to school for the next four days, and you can graduate, and you can leave her." He said, searching my face.

"Charlotte, if you leave with this man, you can forget about everything we've given you. You won't have anything of ours, we'll disown you." My mother laughed.

"Ben I-" 

"No, Char. Get back in the car and we'll leave. I'll take care of you." Ben said, leading me back to the passenger seat.

"Charlotte?" I froze, turning my head to my little brother. I had tears in my eyes as I ran to him. I hugged him tightly and sobbed.

"Adam, I have to leave. Mom's taken it too far." 

"Take me with you." He sniffled. I looked to Ben, who simply nodded, and led my brother back to the car.

"What are you doing?" My mother screeched.

"I'm 18, and my little brother doesn't feel safe with you, obviously. So, I'm taking it upon myself to do what you couldn't, and taking care of my little brother." I snapped, pushing Adam into the backseat.

"Wait until your father he-"

"Dad will leave you, and then find us." I climbed in the passenger seat and turned to Adam.

"Hey, Ben's going to take care of us. I won't let anything happen to you." I said, patting his knee. I turned back to the front and saw Ben speaking with my mother. I couldn't hear what he said, but I assumed it made my mother upset, seeing as she went to slap him. He grabbed her wrist and tossed it to the side as gently as he could. He turned around and got into the driver's seat.

"I'm sorry, Charlotte." Ben said, grabbing my hand.

"I'll be fine, Adam will be fine. You'll make sure of that." I said, leaning against the window.

"Hey Adam, I'm Ben. We have a lot to talk about."

--------

"You're a werewolf? And my sister is your soulmate?" Adam asked breathlessly. 

"Look, I know it's a lot to process. I'm still having a hard time coming to terms with it myself, but it's the tru-" Adam cut my rambling off with loud laughter.

"Charlotte, shut up. This is so cool!" Adam grinned. We were sitting at the kitchen table in Ben's house, drinking lemonade and eating pizza.

"How are you taking this so well?" I asked, taking another slice of pepperoni pizza.

"I have an open mind about things, and why would you let him take us to his house if you didn't believe him?" Adam reasoned, finishing his lemonade.

"I guess you have a point." I nodded, placing my slice of pizza on a paper plate.

"Yeah, well yo-" Adam was cut off by a growl.

"Michael, if you hurt my brother, I'll kill you." I said, casually sipping my lemonade.

"Sorry." He muttered. Ben laughed, causing me to spit out my lemonade. Adam and Michael began laughing at me, and I started laughing too. Even after the stress of my family situation, it was nice to laugh, even if it was at my expense.