1.6

Monday, 4th of April.

"How did you know?" Harper broke the silence as the two sat in her room. Calum was sprawled out on the floor, even after Harper insisted he sit down on her bed where it was comfier; he had politely declined her offer.

Calum hummed in a questioning manner, his head lifted up slightly. He knew what Harper was talking about, he just needed some time to think of a believable lie that also had truth to it. Calum hated the idea of lying to people, much less Harper, but he knew it was essential.

"How'd you know that I would need checking up on?" Harper elaborated. She sat cross legged on her bed, her fingers picked at the ends of her quilt.

Calum sighed as he placed his hands under his head and stared up at the ceiling. His eyebrows drew together subconsciously, "I guess I just knew. I've seen the love you and Luke have before, I knew you'd miss him. That, and he asked me to look after you." Yeah, so that you wouldn't get attacked and murdered while he was gone.

"He did?" Harper's tone was hopeful as she hastily repositioned herself so she was laid at the end of her bed, flat on her stomach. Her forest green eyes stared at Calum eagerly.

Calum let out a breathy laugh, "Of course he did. He does love you."

Harper rolled her eyes, she didn't doubt that. Unlike other girls she knew, Harper trusted her boyfriend enough to let him do whatever he wanted, at the end of the day she knew he loved her.

"I have a question," Calum sighed as he glanced up at Harper through his long lashes. His eyebrows were slightly drawn together as he gathered up the courage to say what he needed to, to put Luke's mind at ease.

"Go on."

"I see you've been hanging around with Larkin a lot, are you guys friends?" Calum asked.

"How do you know his name?" Harper questioned, she didn't remember telling Calum his name, unless Calum already knew him. She shook her head slightly before she added, "I guess we are friends."

"Oh, I heard you say his name once?" It came out of Calum's mouth more so as a question than anything else, but Harper happily nodded nonetheless. Calum's breath had momentarily hitched as he waited for Harper to reply. He knew she wouldn't confront him, that she would believe him straight away, because that's just the person she was.

"Of course. I'm so forgetful." Harper giggled as she rolled over onto her back, which arched slightly off of the quilt.

"Shall we go do something? Perhaps we could go to the beach? It's lovely weather," Calum gestured to the window as he finished speaking. The sun was high up in the sky, although it was beginning to descend, marking the start of what would be a beautiful sunset.

"As long as we aren't swimming." Harper said. Her face scrunched up at the idea of getting in the water without Luke. She just couldn't quite grasp the idea of swimming without Luke to keep her safe from danger. Her memories still haunted her.

"Of course not. Perhaps a stroll along the beach?" Harper nodded as the duo pushed themselves up to their feet and made their way out of Harper's room. They took the steps two at a time, Calum retrieved his car keys out of his pocket and unlocked the vehicle that they approached.