1.4

Sunday, 3rd of April.

Harper woke up the following morning, a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach. She rolled over, expecting to cuddle straight into Luke, although as she patted his side of the bed she noticed it was empty, and cold, which indicated that he had left quite some time ago.

She smiled and briefly opened her eyes. Maybe Luke was downstairs, perhaps he was making breakfast or talking to the other boys.

Harper laid in bed for a few more minutes, her mind drifted as she thought about what Luke and her could do for the remainder of the day. She was thinking something calm, something he would remember until he came back.

It was five minutes later that Harper decided to get up, due to the sun that shone directly on her face. She pulled the covers off and reluctantly pulled herself out of bed, the only thing that kept her going was the fact she could go see Luke.

Harper brushed her brown hair out of her face before she grabbed a pair of shorts out of her bag, thankful she had an emergency bag at his. She smiled at the feeling of Luke's shirt on her; he must have changed her into it when she fell asleep.

As she walked down the stairs, Harper could feel her stomach stirring, a hand was placed over it to try and calm it down. When Harper walked into the kitchen she was met with Calum baking pancakes, and Luke nowhere in sight.

Calum turned around at the sound of Harper's footsteps as she walked further into the kitchen. He saw Harpers questioning expression, and he silently cursed Luke for leaving him with the task of telling Harper.

"Where's Luke?" Harper asked as she sat down on a chair by the kitchen table. She noticed Calum's hesitant- almost scared- expression, and wondered what could have possibly made him look like that.

"Well, um," Calum paused as he debated whether to lie or tell her the truth. How would she feel if he told her that Luke had lied? But how would he feel if he lied to her?

It was when Harper cleared her throat that Calum decided to lie, the pained look on her face made him feel so guilty as he spoke, "The flight was changed, he left early in the morning."

Harper felt tears brim at her eyes as she placed her head in her hands and laid it on the table, determined not to let Calum see her cry. She wasn't ready, she wanted to spend all of today with Luke, to give him a proper goodbye at the airport.

"Are you okay Harper?" Calum asked as he placed a plate of pancakes in front of Harper. She glanced up, her mouth nearly watered at the sight and smell of the golden, fluffy pancakes.

"I'm, f-fine." Harper murmured, "thank you for breakfast." She added once she had started eating. The pancakes tasted as good as they looked, even though Harper had drowned them in golden syrup.

"Are you sure you're fine?" Calum questioned as he placed a comforting hand on Harper's shoulder.

Harper nodded her head, beating herself up inside for getting so emotional over the fact Luke had left early. He couldn't help it. She placed her knife and fork down, placed her dishes in the dishwasher before she had hurriedly making her way back up the stairs and into Luke's room.

When she was in the comfort of his room she had let the tears fall. She tried to keep her cries silent, but she knew she hadn't succeeded when Calum had lightly knocked on the door. She sniffled and wiped at her eyes, trying to hide the fact she had been crying. "Harper?" The knocking became a bit more persistent when she didn't reply.