1.2

Friday, 25th of March.

"Why?" Harper questioned to herself once she was back inside Luke's room, away from the other boys.

The dinner had come to an abrupt halt as soon as Michael told the news. Harper had excused herself, her stomach was in knots as she climbed the stairs, and at one point she thought she was going to vomit the food she had just eaten.

Luke had given Michael one of the biggest death glares he could muster. Michael knew Luke wanted more time, so why would he say it? Luke was frustrated and angry. He banged his fist on the table in front of Michael, a snarl emitted from his throat. Michael looked relaxed as he mockingly leant back in his chair and clasped his hands behind his head.

"You knew I needed more time!" Luke yelled as he let his frustration out. He wasn't going to hold back, Michael deserved this. Even the other boys looked taken back by Michael's earlier actions.

"She deserves to know," Michael let his false facade drop. "You can't drag her into this. If she leaves now there's a chance that they won't come after her. She'll be safe," Michael whispered the last sentence, as if he was talking to himself.

"It's not your choice to make," Luke scowled, although he knew Michael was only trying to help, even if he did it in a shit way. At first he had thought Michael wanted to ruin his relationship, but as time went on Luke began to notice the way Michael would constantly fret for her safety, even if he didn't show it in the best way. Luke understood that Michael only wanted Harper safe. They all did.

"If I didn't do what I did then she'll be six feet under within the next few weeks."

Luke knew he had a point. It had happened before, Ashton's scars were a prime example of the consequences. Keeping Harper for his own selfish reasons, was putting her in danger. If he left her she would be miserable, but at least she would be safe.

"You're right," Luke sighed. He noticed Michael's shocked expression, clearly he was expecting Luke to lash out and yell at him. Luke was simply too tired to do so, that and he knew his best friend was only looking out for him.

"What?" Michael was still shocked. Where was the yelling? Punching? Fighting? Luke was just going to give up like that.

"I just wish you would've waited," Luke admitted, "but you were only looking out for me, and for her. I understand."

Michael nodded as he came forward and brought Luke in for a hug, a few tears slid down his cheeks as he did so. Michael was sorry for everything he had done, but he wouldn't take it back. If Harper didn't feel welcome then she wouldn't stay, or at least be around them much, which meant she would be safer.

"Guys I think you need to realise that we might need to keep her close. They know she means a lot to Luke so what's going to stop them from using her as bait?" Calum raised a valid point. One that the rest of the boys refused to accept, apart from Ashton, who kept his thoughts to himself.

Luke let out a frustrated sigh as he pulled at the ends of his hair. He closed his eyes as he paced back and forth across the kitchen. Luke was ambivalent about all of this. He wanted to protect Harper, but he also wanted to keep her far away from danger.

"How can I protect her, if I'm not near her?" Luke spoke the question that had been on his mind since the beginning. He needed help, and he knew the boys were exactly what he needed.