Wrapping Things Up (+ Meeting the Kaiser Chiefs)

Wrapping Things Up

A few years ago I thought my life was over. I thought that nothing and nobody would ever complete me again and that I would live alone and then inevitably die alone. When I lost my unborn child I was distraught, I thought that I would never be happy again and for a long time I wasn't. I braved it. I continued to live in the flat with Ollie with neither of us talking to each other, the magic was gone, and I continued to work. Very few knew of what we were going through apart from my brother, my mum and a couple of close mates but we didn't want to make a fuss.

Ollie and I drifted apart, he moved out and I was left alone. Depressed. Not eating, not sleeping, not functioning. I would turn up to work, do my job, get paid and then go home. Then repeat. Over and over. That is why I left Birmingham and my long stint at Warwickshire County Cricket Club to set up camp up in Leeds. Somehow I managed to bump into Andrew White as soon as I arrived and for some reason Ricky got injured on stage. If neither of those things had happened, then we wouldn't be where we are today.

We spend our evenings cuddled up on the sofa sometimes with snacks and sometimes with wine but all the time in each other's company. We stick on one of the series we are watching on the tele or just some random crap but it doesn't matter as long as we are together. One evening Rick suggested that we needed a change of scene so we decided to start looking at new properties in the suburbs of Leeds. It didn't take us long to find somewhere where we both instantly fell in love with but for very different reasons; me because of the beautiful garden and Rick because of the structure of the downstairs.

After one viewing we put down our offer – mainly consisting of Rick's money but I do contribute – and three weeks later we were moving in. We hired a couple of vans, the lads then helped us move so in all in all it was a pretty stress free day. Rick and Whitey focussed on the bedroom, Simon on Rick's office/music room, Peanut on the lounge and Vijay helped me in the kitchen. We celebrated the end of the day with a bottle of champagne and a Chinese take away. 'More paint for the Missus.' I hear Ricky state with a grunt as he drops a couple of tins of paint on the floor next to me. We are currently repainting one of the spare rooms because we sort of left all that due to a load gigs the band had.

'Thanks Rick.' I groan in pain as painting this wall is getting harder and harder but I try and hide it, don't want him to get worried. My relapses are getting more and more recurrent but they still only last a week or so. Suddenly, my arm gives way and Rick is there in a flash catching the paint brush with one hand whilst snaking his other arm around my form. 'I'm sorry.' I mumble.

'Don't be sorry.' He drops the brush into the paint pan before leading me out of the room and into our bedroom. 'It isn't your fault.' I know how much it hurts Rick to see me in this state and how hard he tries to cover it up but it has become routine so although he is now used to it, it still seriously bothers him. 'I will go and phone up the GP to repeat your prescription.' He sends me a half-hearted smile before leaving the room.

Many things have happened since the wedding. We had the dream honeymoon in Switzerland which was incredibly romantic and very private which is definitely what we both needed because the press has seemed to be fascinated in our romance. We did have a slight issue though with them, Rick got very annoyed when they found out about my MS and started to describe me as his patient. He went nuts. Whitey had to stop him from making some big statement but eventually it died down.

Then there was the topic of children because I put on a bit of weight because of my lack of activity sparking up rumours that I could be pregnant. I soon put those rumours to bed at an award show by telling some reporter that I can't have kids which shut up the papers. We then proceeded to get on with our lives. The topic of adoption has come up however because I would love to have kids but then we made a decision that it wouldn't be fair on them with Rick being away so much and me with my illness. We are happy though. So happy. 'The pharmacy has shut.' Rick reappears but this time with a glass of water and some painkillers for me. 'I will go first thing in the morning when it opens.'