Plan B

Plan B

'Leg up.' I instruct Liam Plunkett, a player who I am currently performing quite intense physiotherapy on. He lifts up his leg which I rest on my shoulder before starting to feel around his thigh trying to pin point the point of pain. I hope it isn't too bad, he is a very important player to the team and is needed by England for his bowling; plus, sometimes his big hitting batting. He is one of the older England players is Plunkett and I get on with him rather well so perhaps it isn't best that I am in a foul mood in front of such a talent. Sometimes I have to pinch myself that I actually get to work with some of the England players at all. He hisses when I touch a particular making me mumble, 'Probably the bicep femoris...or could be a semimembranosus.'

'Which means?' He questions as I remove his leg from my shoulder and lay it back down on the ground still continuing to feel the sore area.

'The area isn't hot or swollen so it shouldn't be anything too serious.' I point at the chair next to us signalling him to sit while I finish making some notes in his file. Yes, each player has a file meaning more paperwork for me especially when they get injured every five minutes. Plunkett – once standing – holds his hand out for me to take so I can stand up next to him with the file. He takes a seat in the chair and I place the folder on the table. 'I will find a thigh cuff so we can start some treatment, you might even be able to take it home. You should also take painkillers.'

'Okay, as long as it doesn't stop me from being selected for the squad against Pakistan then I am happy.' I find the canister and tubing for the air cuff which I connect up before placing it on the ground next to him whilst I search around in my bag for the right thigh cuff; he is a big feller. 'Are you alright Armstrong?' I hum when I find the right sized cuff which I begin to wrap around the thigh in question, tightly but not too tightly. 'I heard about your brother, I am sorry.' I pause my actions briefly but shrug off my thoughts and instead I connect the tubing to the cuff before switching on the machine.

'Thanks Pudsey.' His nickname, it's pretty great. 'And don't worry you should be absolutely fine in a few days. You will be taking wickets for England in no time.' I smile just as my phone chimes. And again. And again.

'Someone's popular.' He grins whilst peering over to his side at my phone on the table next to him. I find his bottle of water next to his bowling shoes which I pass to him with a couple of painkillers. He swallows them quickly. My phone chimes again. I should probably check it; it could be Ricky about Josh because he is watching him today. 'Is it your boyfriend?' Plunkett asks and then passes over my phone for me.

'Yes, it is.' I mutter and unlock my phone to view the many messages. There are four – oh wait five – because another one has just come through:

Guess who is the best boyfriend in the world???x

I have a plan!

Things are going to get better xx

Come to my house after work x

Don't worry Josh is with me x

I find myself screwing up my facial features in confusion, what has he done now? I type out a quick reply agreeing with him before switching the sound off and chucking it back on the table top. 'Anything exciting?' He asks me not nosily because we tend to talk quite freely to each other but he is definitely on the verge of being.

'Who knows?' I reply just as I am called by coach who is helping another player hobble in from off the field. It is going to be a busy day.

\~.~.~.~.~/

Very quickly after knocking on the door to Ricky's house it is swung open by him looking very pleased with himself indeed. 'Dinner is nearly ready.' I follow him into the house after shutting the door to find Josh sat at the table, his place set, on his phone with his headphones in. He waves at me as I enter but doesn't bother turning whatever he is watching off. 'Busy day?' Ricky asks me while removing what looks like to be lasagne from the oven.