New Opportunities

New Opportunities

Coming into work this morning felt a bit pointless not going to lie. All the guys needed was one more wicket to finish and therefore win the match so we were finished within half an hour. Coach then decided we could do some indoor training on the fitness equipment today and the guys then can have a day off tomorrow. Which means so can I which I am very much looking forward to spend the day with Ricky and Josh. We could have a picnic if the weather is nice.

I am currently working on one of the player's backs while talking to Ian, the strength and conditioning coach, about how things are going on at home. He came over the other day for dinner and hit it off with Josh. They played video games using Ricky's PS4 whilst me and Ricky cleared up the kitchen, sharing a couple of kisses every so often. Domestic bliss. 'Your Josh is strong though Kase...'

'I know he is.' I sigh and continue to give the player a rub down. He continuously has issues with his back. 'I just worry about what he is going to do. I think he wants to get into sports which is why he is keeping up the weight lifting but I don't know.'

'What like wheelchair basketball?' I hum and start to play some cream to the player's back. It has been a great week and a bit living with Ricky and it surprisingly doesn't feel like it is too early. We wake up together, eat together, sit together, cuddle together and go to sleep together. On nights that I am home first I would cook for the three of us and on nights he is home first from whatever rock star activity he has done that day then he would cook. The one evening that neither of us were home at a reasonable time, me because of match day business and him because of his radio show down in London, Josh tried to rustle up a meal the best he could but then decided on ordering in take away.

Josh is worrying me though. I think it is great that he is determined to still make something of himself and he is now focussing on the sport sector which of course I approve of but I just think it is too soon. It was less than a month ago that he was in hospital and now he is talking about training programs and competing. Ricky of course is being super supportive of him and is encouraging him to go for it but a part of me wants him to wait for a bit, just until things calm down. 'Armstrong.' Coach Gillespie says, 'The director wants to see you in his office.' What? I look at Ian who shrugs with a confused expression on his face so I get up, pat the player on the shoulder and start to make my way upstairs.

I don't understand. Why does the director of Yorkshire cricket want to see me? Have I done something wrong? Is he unhappy with the current predicament with my brother so is going to give me a warning? The director is Martyn Moxon, no one sees him much apart from the coaches occasionally. He spends most of his time in his office or going on business elsewhere. 'Armstrong. Your Ricky is here with your lunch it seems.' I hear someone say but I am not sure who because of being in a flourish of panic. Why does the director want to speak to me?

'Direct him towards Ian.' I state as I pass and start to climb the stairs. I have only met the director of Yorkshire Cricket once and that was when I got here so he could welcome me to the team or something. It is not like him to just call staff upstairs – apart from coach – for meetings.

The corridor is long, dark, with very little windows meaning virtually no natural daylight. It has a sort of eerie feel about it. Like I am a teenager once again walking to see the headmaster to try and explain my tardiness without dropping my mother in it. We couldn't have done with social services getting involved...again. I knock on the door with a sigh and very quickly I hear a muffled come in so I open the door slowly, warily. 'Ah Kasey.' Martyn greets me with a brief smile. It was so brief that people could question its existence.

'You wanted to see me sir?' I question politely hoping it is a big mistake me being called up here so I can turn around and leave.

'Yes, please take a seat.' His office hasn't changed in my very short time here apart from the bigger pile of paperwork sat on his desk due to it reaching the end of the season. He has a suit hung up on his cupboard door and some ties and medals hung around the neck of the hanger. There are numerous photos scattered around of the team celebrating and some empty bottles of champagne which have been named and dated depending on the occasion. He is a man surrounded by memories...oh and paperwork. 'Don't worry you are not in trouble.' I breathe out a sigh of relief. 'Quite the opposite actually.'