An Unusual Client

An Unusual Client

I continue to dance around my new kitchen to the sound of the early morning radio. The overplayed and almost annoying song, "Happy" is being played which usually makes me want to switch off the radio and chuck it out of the window but this morning it reflects my mood perfectly. I stir my scrambled eggs around the pan as I hum along to the tune contemplating my first shift at work which was a long one. Yesterday, I spent the morning meeting with some important people at the cricket club then in the afternoon worked with some of the players and then they played a short, t20 game in the evening which I had to be there for. A long day but a successful one and think I made a good impression. Today, however is my day off.

The thing about being a sport physiotherapist is that some days are busy (especially on match days) whereas other days are quiet as all hell which is why I am planning today to put my feelers out for new clients. In Birmingham, I had a couple of regular clients on the side of my job such as a cyclist who used to visit me once a fortnight. I also used to have a couple of one off clients such as someone who ran the London marathon but then ended up pulling their hamstring so I sorted her out.

I am planning on going to the local gym to put an advert up and possibly sign up for a membership as well. Yorkshire cricket club have given me access to the gym at Headingly cricket ground but I am not sure if I want to work out with a load of athletes who work out for a living. It would probably make me feel terribly inferior.

I take my breakfast off the hob and pour the contents of the pan onto two already made slices of toast before dumping the pan in the sink of hot, soapy water. I place my plate onto the table next to my glass of orange juice before sitting down to eat my breakfast. I am really enjoying my time in Leeds so far, there is a big sense of community here. Don't get me wrong, I love Birmingham and I had a large network of friends but here you walk into any shop or pub or whatever and get chatted to. I love communities and I think I have definitely found one here.

I shovel down my breakfast in no time at all. I am always hungry the day after a long one at work so no wonder I am hungry. I arrived at the ground yesterday at ten in the morning and I don't think I got home until ten last night so it really was a long day. I stand over the kitchen sink and start to wash up the pan when my phone begins to ring and Uma Thurman by Fall Out Boy starts to resonate through my flat. I chuck the tea towel over my shoulder before picking up my phone off the coffee table in the lounge and then answering it. 'Hello?' I question.

'Hi Kasey, it is Whitey... Andrew White.' I hear an unsure voice say.

'Oh hey Whitey. How was the gig?' I ask politely remembering him mentioning it during our encounter a few days ago.

'It was great thanks, feel a bit shattered now though.' Oh, it must have been last night then. 'It was a very successful gig but our lead singer, Ricky, he has seemed to pull a muscle in his calf and it is causing him a lot of discomfort.' I hear people talking in the background which must be the rest of the band.

'Oh I bet it is. Do you want to bring him over to my place and I can have a go at sorting it out?' I suggest although I know this is the reason why he has phoned me in the first place.

'That would be great!' Whitey exclaims, 'We are travelling back to Leeds now, can I bring him around in the afternoon at three?'

'That sounds good to me.' I tell him, 'I will text you my address. See you later Whitey.'

'Yeah see you later. Thanks Kasey.' I hang up my phone and dump it back on the table before returning to my dirty dishes in the sink. I will have to forget about going to the gym today because I will have to set up my equipment and tidy up properly. Ooh I cannot wait!