Chapter 23

Kai was dressed slightly different than she usually was. Instead of hiding her entire body like she used to, her upper arms were clearly visible. Her leather armor was no longer black, but a light brown.While she still had her vambraces on, they were styled less like a thief, and more fancy, and decorated with norse symbols and lines on a metal plate. Her shin guards and boots were decorated in the same way, offering more protection.

Her vest was similar, with a metal chest piece over top her leather vest.Her knife belt was slung over her right shoulder, over top her armor. She had a sword on each hip, and the hilts of daggers were visible at the top of each boot, and another two daggers under each vambrace,able to be grabbed from the elbow. But there was another blade under the front of each arm guard, making her very, very well armed.

Her blindfold was now silver, but still held the gold embroidery.

The fox's ears twitched as she listened to the forest around her as she was laying in the back of a carriage. Chysolite sat beside her, and a young man was seated at the front, steering the horses on the road.

"It's going to take a few days to get back to Krate, so what do you want to talk about?" The zealot questioned. She was sitting with her legs folded, her tail gently sliding across the wooden floor of the carriage as if she was in thought, or perhaps it was playful.

Kai was on her back, her arms folded under her head and her legs crossed as she lay there. Her breathing was steady, telling the zealot she was very calm.

"What would you like to talk about?" Kai asked, instead of answering.

"Uh... what haven't we talked about..." Chysolite touched a claw to her own chin, deep in thought. She then smiled softly. "What's your favorite food?"

"Dessert or an actual meal?"

"Both."

"For an actual meal... rabbit stew. The one that Chef Leo makes at the Tower." Kai answered.

"Oh yeah! That stuff is really good. I tried to steal the recipe, but Blue caught me." Chysolite admitted.

Kai cracked a smile before continuing. "Favorite Dessert... The apple pie that mother made was really good."

"I question why they had so many apples there though." Chysolite seemed to be in thought again. "There was a huge basket right in the kitchen filled to the brim with red and green apples."

"Mikky and Akeno love them for some reason." Kai shrugged.

"Hadvar." Chysolite called. "What's your favorite food?"

"My favorite?" The driver muttered. "The Venison they serve at the inn in Frostfall was some of the best I've ever had. He soaked it in a onion-tasting broth that was perfect."

Hadvar was wearing hunter's trousers and a leather vest. Kai's old dagger was sheathed on his thigh, but he gripped the reins without turning around to face them.

"That sounds delicious." Chysolite smiled. "This is making me hungry!"

"It'll be a day before we reach the next town." Hadvar confessed. "Plus we ate back at the tavern before we left the last one."

"Yeah but that was a while ago." Chysolite admitted.

"It was only about an hour ago." Kai scoffed. "If you wasted less energy talking you wouldn't be so hungry."

"Well that's rude." Chysolite glared at the fox. "After all I do for you you just tease me like its so easy."

"Well... It is easy. You make it easy. You don't exactly fight back." Kai answered.