Chapter 6

The four girls ended up walking out into the forest where Akeno knelt down as she looked around for something.

A black fox came out of the brush and knelt before her. She pet the top of its head with a smile then motioned for Kai to come forward. Chysolite helped the Seeress forward and Akeno guided her hand to the top of the fox's head.

"My daughter Kai is blind, do you think you can be her eyes and help her around for me?" Akeno asked.

"I'd be happy to help mistress. It would be my pleasure to assist her." Kai heard from the small creature. "My name is Juan."

"Thank you Juan." Akeno smiled.

Kai gently pet the fox as a soft smile crossed her face. "Take good care of me please."

"I'll do my best." Juan answered. He nuzzled his face into her hand.

"Is he an elemental?" Mikky questioned.

"He is." Akeno answered. "When push comes to shove he can grow with the darkness."

"He's a shadow fox?" Chysolite asked.

"Indeed." Akeno nodded. "Though he will mostly stay small and be your eyes, if necessary, he can protect you."

Chysolite smiled. "She doesn't need protecting."

"You can fight?" Mikky questioned.

Kai nodded. "Blindness isn't a crutch for me to lean on. My nose and ears are much more sensitive, and sound is a vibration that I can use to 'see'."

"Like a bat?" Akeno asked.

"I think so." Kai nodded.

"You should get Juan a bell so you can hear him." Chysolite suggested.

"It's a good idea." Mikky added.

"Would you mind?" Kai asked. "I don't want to force you to do anything."

"I don't mind ma'am."

"Just call me Kai."

"Of course."

"When she's with Chysolite she'll be fine, but having you around would be nice." Akeno offered. "Just a bit of comfort, you know."

"Of course." He jumped onto Kai's shoulder before moving so his head and front paws were resting on the top of her head between her ears. Kai smiled and pet him softly.

"Thank you for this." Kai said.

"Come on." Chysolite smiled. "Let's get him a bell. He can pick it out."

"Can you understand him?" Kai asked.

"I can't really. I hear whispers but I'm not as powerful as I'd like yet." She answered.

"Akeno and I will alert the local Hunter's Guild. The more help the better." Mikky explained.

"Indeed. We'll meet you in the center of town in an hour." Akeno nodded.

"Okay." Chysolite gave a thumbs up.

The group split and Chysolite and Kai went to the local store where Chysolite grabbed a bunch of ribbons and bells where she set them on the floor. "Pick your color and Kai, pick your sound."

Juan went over to the ribbons, and one at a time Chysolite shook the bells for Kai. "The high one." Kai said. "It's not deafening but it's noticeable."

Chysolite looked down finding Juan had picked out a blue ribbon. Chysolite paid for both then tied the bell around his neck. "All set." She smiled as she put everything else back. "Let's go see how well you can follow Juan. Lead her out of the store."