Chapter 9

Akeno managed to hear the conversation between Kai and Chysolite, and it was so hard for her not to say something. But it was easy to blame herself.

She bit her tongue, not wanting them to know that she knew. Mikky told her to lay down and rest for a few hours since she carried them so far and so fast, but truth be told she was afraid to sleep. Afraid to dream of what Kai's father had done.

He was so sweet and gentle when she was with him, and he was so grateful to be given a child to share with her. But when Akeno realized she was neglecting her duties as the guardian of the shrine, she had to leave him and protect it.

She assumed it was like Kai had said, and he just couldn't look at Kai without seeing Akeno. So he didn't look at her.

But was that not exactly what she was doing? Seeing the man she loved in her own daughter?

Mikky could hear Akeno's thoughts, and she knew what she was feeling. But to confront them might make Kai feel betrayed.

So she too bit her tongue and sighed as she sat beside her wife who was curled up hugging her tail as she stared towards the spring and away from Kai. Just looking at the poor girl made her feel guilty, but she would never abandon her again. She would stay as long as the child allowed her, and she would always give her the attention she deserved.

Chysolite gently pet Kai's fluffy white tail as she leaned against her, and Kai leaned back on the taller Zealot and allowed her to pet her tail. Juan climbed back on the land and shook a fair bit away as to not spray anyone else with water.

"When they sleep, do you want to go have a bath?" Chysolite whispered.

"I'd prefer an Inn to be honest." Kai answered. "A river is probably cold, and without Akeno to warm it I don't think I'd enjoy it."

"If Akeno's your mother, then you must be able to use some kind of fire?" Chysolite questioned.

"Perhaps I may learn at some point. But for the most part I doubt that I can." Kai explained. "Since I can't see anything, I don't like the idea of shooting fireballs."

"If we link, you can use my eyes." Chysolite offered. "Plus, you already see with aura when you want to, so you can use the fire like that."

"Maybe." Kai sighed. "But you said to link I'd need a catalyst."

"If you're really a deity, then you probably don't need one. There are accounts of people managing to hold all of a Zealot's magic in them without one, but most people need them."

"I don't think a lot of people have linked with a Zealot before anyway." Kai shrugged.

"There are only seven Zealots at a time." Chysolite explained. "As soon as one is killed, another is created by time and fate."

"I take it six of them don't have wings." Kai asked.

"That is correct." Chysolite smiled as she pet Kai a top her head, between her ears. "But we are not introduced to the other Zealots. I only know of a few. Peredite is with the Nightshades, and she's linked to Aviri Nightshade without the use of a Catalyst. Iodite is a Peace Keeper of the human world, but after coming across a Hybrid vampire of some sort, she went to Rose begging for forgiveness. Verdelite used to be the right hand of Ragnarok, but her location has been lost since he chose to help us. Perhaps she was in contact with Peredite and that's why she chose to not be a Peace Keeper anymore. Verdedite hasn't been seen, and since they cannot commit acts of evil, no one is exactly worried."

"Interesting." Kai nodded softly. "Do you want to link to me?"

"I want to help you however I can. Linking to you will allow me to share pain with you, and understand how you feel. It will let me help you a lot more. But it needs to be something you want. Once linked, you can't break it without a lot of effort and pain since our minds and souls will be connected. Especially since I'm a Zealot, and all my magic will flood into you."