Chapter 10 (Dealing With Rejection 101)

ULFRICS POV

I threw a plate at the stone wall in a fit of rage. I was still processing the fact that Rikke refused my hand, after all these years. I wore the damned ring every day for Talos' sake! She was sure stubborn.

"Woah there, sabre cat. Just because your enemy doesnt love you back doesnt mean you have to go insane." Galmor bickered.

Galmor was really a pain in my ass ever since he found out i lied to him about where i went. He knew i wanted to speak with Rikke, but he didnt think i would go off and not tell him. Technically i didn't want to go off. I was taken against my will. But the fact is, i lied to my best friend. I felt like a complete ass.

"Yeah, yeah." I huffed and walked over to my throne to rest. I wished every moment for Rikke to be my queen. Though i hated to admit it. If she wouldn't be my queen, i had someone who would.

--------------------------

"Viola, my dear. I have noticed your greatness since i was young, you are different from the others. I ask for your hand, as my wife and queen." I was on my knee now. Elders have always said that a man only gets on his knees for the woman he loves. Its a surrender of the heart, except, this was not my first surrender.

Viola stuttered and tried to find the words to say.

"I-im honored. I accept. I will be your queen, Ulfric." She smiled.

Yes, i know she was probably two decades older than me, but she has that fire that will keep this kingdom going if i perish sooner than later. This was the perfect distraction from Rikke.

The townspeople cheered as i stood and placed a silver wedding band on her finger.

"Everyone! You are all invited to the wedding! Whats a queen without her people?" I laughed and took Viola's hand. I could tell she was nervous, but a grin plastered on her face. I don't think ive ever seen her look this happy. Things just might work out.

--------------------------------

"What in the name of Mara have you done?" Galmor whispered to me in the throne room, quiet enough so that Viola couldn't hear. She was sitting at the large wooden dining table with a bunch of townsfolk, talking about how excited she was for the wedding. She was sipping the finest wine from Skingrad and laughing with her friends.

"Galmor, this was my decision." I sighed.

Galmor looked at me with pure rage. I knew what he was thinking. I threw away any chance at true happiness, and now i was inviting more hostility into my home. Once the empire finds out i am to be married, they can use Viola as leverage for my surrender. But what they do not know, is that i never loved her. It's not that im using her, its that im finally going to settle down.

Sofie was excited to hear that Viola would be a new mother to her. It was hard for me to look at Sofie and tell her i loved Viola. I think everyone knew it wasnt true.

The wedding was to take place in a week. The last week to think of Rikke.

-----------------------

RIKKES POV

Every day seemed to go by a bit slower. Svana hasn't left her house in a few days. I heard someone say that she was sick, yet i still didn't have the guts to face her.

I put the golden wedding band inside a black box. And signed off the location of where it was to be sent: Windhelm Palace.

I felt my nose starting to run. I knew i was getting a cold of some sort, ive felt stuffy all day. I sniffled and the runniness didnt seem to stop. Instead, my nose dripped and dripped. Blood.

I put up my hand to catch the droplets and paced over to my desk to get a towel. The blood started to soak through the towel and my head felt like a balloon that was going to pop. I ran towards the door as fast as i could to get help, but collapsed in the doorway. My vision went black and i faded away.

----------------------------

"Rikke? Can you hear me?" I heard a familiar voice ask. Tulius? My eyes fluttered open and the bright light from the windows made my head ache. Tulius smiled warmly.

It made me afraid to be in this position. I looked around the room i was in. I was laying on a big white bed and there were windows adorning every wall. Flowers lie on the counter near the bed.

"Where am i?" I finally asked.

"A healers shack." Tulius stated. He looked at me with sadness in his eyes and a fake smile on his lips. Something was wrong, i could tell.

"Im dying aren't i?" I managed to ask. I felt the water pool in my eyes when he just looked away in response.

"Well, ill be damned if i die from a mere sickness." I gritted my teeth. I always thought id die fighting on the battlefield. Tulius did not say anything, instead he got up and gathered all the flowers from the counter and into a vase.

"I shipped that box to the Windhelm Palace. I dont know why you wanted Ulfric to have a ring, but im guessing it had to do with his upcoming wedding." He crossed his arms.

Wedding?

"What wedding?" I asked, shocked.

"Ulfric chose someone to be his wife. Very odd timing i must say. If it were i, i would have waited until after the war to settle down." He spoke slowly.

I didnt want to believe it. I sat up and looked out the window.

"When is the wedding?" I asked.

"Two days. At the Windhelm Palace." Tulius walked over to me and placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Im going." I stated. He seemed to understand why.

"Then you're going to need a disguise."