Chapter Six (Dawnstar)

ULFRIC'S POV

I arrived in Dawnstar three days before needed. Galmor insisted that he tag along to make sure Rikke wouldn't bring the entire Cyrodiil Army to have my head. I trusted that he would stay around town in case something were to happen. More soldiers were on their way as well. They are going to pose as lowly travelers passing through Dawnstar. I would have eyes on me everywhere i went. Luckily, the Jarl here respected me, so he let me stay in his longhouse until i had to leave.

The days went by fairly quickly until the time came for Rikke to meet me. By Talos, i hope this goes well. I'm not even sure what i want to accomplish with this meeting. I just need to speak with her.

The people of Dawnstar treated me fairly, but there were some who i could tell completely despised me. I could NOT wait to get out of here.

The inn was dimly lit and warmed by a large fireplace. There was a woman sweeping the floor, and the one who owned the inn was wiping down the counters. I could tell my soldiers were here, when a group of "travelers" looked in my direction and smirked. I felt more at ease with my men watching over me.

Sitting at the farthest table from the door, i waited. Everytime someone opened that creaky door, my heart dropped. It never turned out to be her though.

Hours had passed and i had a feeling she had decided not to come. Just as i was about to call it a night, the creaky door swung open and hit the wall. A heavily armored person stepped in, their boots thudding with every step. I straightened my posture and was fixated on the warrior. Who was this person? Was it Rikke? Or was it.. Tulius?

I stood up as quickly as i could and started to make my way to the front door when the warrior spotted me. I continued to walk to the door hoping the warrior wouldnt recognize me as an enemy. All of the sudden, i was pulled into a room. The last thing i saw was the warrior standing in the door way, and everything went black.

----------------------
"You can't catch me! You can't catch me!" Rikke yelled as she ran through the clearingI chuckled and followed her through the thick trees of Riften Hold.

She giggled and jumped over the rocks and logs that were in her way. I kept my pace. I didn't want to stop chasing her. I wanted to do this forever. Which is why this had to be the day i asked her to come back with me to Windhelm. I didnt care that we were young. She was only 16, but i didn't want to wait any longer. When my 17th year approached, my father finally let me venture out to Riften and visit my childhood friend. It was the greatest choice ive ever made.

A smile was plastered onto my face and it wouldnt go away no matter how i tried.

I put my hand in my pocket and felt the golden band that i couldn't wait to place on her finger. It was the most valuable piece of jewelry i owned. Only the best for my special girl.

"AHCK" she yelped out as she tripped over a rock. It happened fast enough that i didnt even notice i was about to trip over the same rock, and i did.
"Oof" i landed on her. She laughed under my body and i felt the vibrations of her laughter throughout my chest.

"Rik." I looked into her eyes and she hit my shoulder.
"You know i hate when you call me that!" She laughed.

I had the perfect time to ask her for her and.
"Rikke... i have to ask you something." I said quietly.
"What is it Ulfric?" She batted her eyes. I chuckled and took her hands. Well, here goes..

"Rikke, i-" i was interupted by a large explosion that could be heard from Cyrodiil. Screams quickly followed. Rikke looked at me with wide eyes and took my hand. We ran back to Riften and everything was in chaos.
"Everyone! Get inside the walls now!"
"All the women and children must get inside a carriage!" The guards yelled back and forth. Rikke had a look of terror on her face and her mom called her over from inside a carriage.
"Rikke! Get in! We need to go, now!" She yelled to her. I lifted Rikke up into a carriage and tried to get in, myself, until a guard pushed me off.
"Only women and children on this carriage, sir. I'm sorry."  The guard stated and more explosions rung out from behind the trees. They were getting closer.

"Where are those carriages going?" I asked in distress.
"Solitude. Its the only place they'll be safe. High King Torygg demanded it." The guard slapped the horse with the lead ropes, and the carriages took off.

I saw men coming down on horses for me. I recognized them as my father's men. "Get on your majesty!" They yelled.
They took me home that night, and my father told me of the situation. The high elves were waging a war against us, and it didnt look good for any of us.

It was the Great War.