Chapter 7 (Good Morning Sunshine)

I had this dream before, ive had it for years straight. I regretted not going to solitude to find Rikke after that day. I told myself she was fine, but little did i know, she was raised in the fight and became a legate in the Empire not long after the war. After my father died and i took his place, i thought she would come back to me once she heard of my efforts. Instead, she called me a trator and refused to ever speak to me.

I was aware that i was tied up with a bag over my head. I just refused to open my eyes. There was no point.

The bag got snatched from my head and i felt someone standing in front of me. I opened my eyes to see the warrior from the inn. The warrior took off their helmet and black locks of hair fell onto the worriers shoulders.

Rikke. I knew it was her.

"I knew you'd come." I grunted in my seat and smirked.
She looked at me as if i was a burden, or a failure to her. And im sure that i was.

"What did you want to speak about, Ulfric?" She asked, expressionless.

"Untie me, love. Can't we be civil?"

"You tell me." She snarled. I heaved a sigh and nodded in response.

Rikke walked to the back of my chair and untied my wrists. It felt good to have the tight ropes fall from my hands. She walked back in front of me and sat in an opposite chair. The room fell silent. The white stoney walls of the small interrogation room echoed light from the candles and kept the room lit up.

"Speak." She demanded.

"Rikke... i've.." i stuttered, "i've been wanting to speak with you for decades." Her facial expression softened.

"I know im a traitor and all, but I needed to see you." I smiled at my old lover.

"You've caused countless deaths around Skyrim. All because you couldnt let Talos go. My friends have died because of you. The Great War was enough battle for one lifetime. And look at all the chaos you cause." She said angrily. She was definitely angry at me.

She got up to leave when i didnt reply.
"No. Stay." I pleaded.

"You don't own me. I can do what i please." She looked back at me.

"Please. I just want to talk. I don't ever want to hurt you." I tried my hardest to persuade her back to me.

"Remember that last day? There is something you should know about that day. I was going to ask you a question, remember?" I asked, not taking my eyes off her. She took a breath and turned back around.

"What were you going to ask me?" Rikke asked, blankly.

I ripped off the chained necklace from my neck and put it in her hand. Hanging from the chain was a golden wedding band. It shimmered in the candle light and her eyes slightly widened.

"This.... you never even came for me. How do i know you're telling me the truth?" Her voiced quivered.

"Look at the inner part of the ring." I stated.

I know she saw the engraved R + U, because i saw her face turn red. She looked more angry than ive ever seen her.

"Why did you leave me in Solitude..?" She asked sadly.

"I thought you'd be much safer in the capital, where there was double protection. No one could hurt you there." I regretted it. Even after all these years, i regretted leaving her there.

She sighed and handed me back the ring, but i quickly slipped it on her finger.

"No. Take this, please. We dont ever have to speak again. Just take it." I smiled at her and she clenched her fist.

"Take him away!" Her voice shook. I felt someone put a bag over my head and tie my hands quicker than i could even comprehend. My head was stinging in pain after a hard blow from the person, and everything went black again.