Chapter 8 (Figuring It Out)

RIKKE'S POV

It's been almost a week since my meeting with Ulfric. The ring still remained on the finger he slipped it on. I didn't have the heart to remove it. Before the war he had my heart in his hands. I loved him with every ounce of that heart. I went years thinking he just gave up on me as a friend and a lover, but he says he did it FOR me. He was going to ask for my hand. Part of me wished he would have done it sooner. A lot would be different. Maybe i could have persuaded him not to start an uprising.

Maybe. Maybe. Maybe. Thats all i can say.

I've. Been avoiding Svana ever since i returned home. I didn't want to explain what happened aloud. I looked out my window at the icy bay. The ring fit my finger perfectly, and it made my heart ache.

Ulfric,

I do not know how to respond to these afflictions. It makes me wonder why you continued to hold my heart, even after we went out separate ways. I was lost without you. When my mother passed i had no where to go. And when i heard that your father passed, i hoped you would call me back home, but you never did. I cannot forgive you for the torment you caused to my heart. We are in a war again, and there is nothing from our past that can change that.
  Rikke

The last sentence was a lie. There were many things he didnt know from our past that could change everything. No matter what i told him, he would never end this fight with the Empire. And it was my job to make sure he doesn't prevail. Though it hurts my soul to know he wants me with him once again. But how could we be so carefree with a war between the both of us?

I know he will chose Talos over me in the end. I just have to pretend like nothing is wrong.

"Legate Rikke." I head somebody call from the hallway. I walked out to the generals mapping area and there were guards crowded around.
"Oh good, Legate. You're here. I need you to take all these men with you."  Tulius said with a smile.

"Where too?" I asked.

"Windhelm."

--------------------------------

ULFRICS POV

Ive been on lock down in my palace since the Dawnstar incident. When Rikke captured me, none of my men knew what happened. They searched every home, every room, every attic for me.

Galmor was angry that i "forgot" what happened that day.

"Damn those imperial dogs!" Galmor yelled and slammed his fist into the wall. He was worrying too much again.

Jorlieff stood next to me and handed me a contract every time i signed another one.

"Dark elf group missing...No. Argonian clan raided...No. Sapphire stolen from an upperclass nord woman! Thats horrible!" I yelled out. Jorlieff sighed.
"Sir, those other people are in danger. The woman is f-fine." Jorlieff stuttered and handed me another document.

"I protect my own before others." I snapped at him.

"You seem to only protect the nords, but okay your majesty." He set the rest of the documents down and walked out of the stragedy room. I hated when he made me feel like a bastard.

"Telegram for his highness." I heard someone say to Jorlieff. He walked in and handed me the letter.

"To Ulfric, from R" it read.

"Who is it from Ulfric?" Galmor asked, curious.
"Just an old friend." I laughed and read through the letter.

It made my heart hurt and my anger rise. I did want Rikke, but i couldn't just abandon my plans to conquer Skyrim. Or could i?

"Ulfric! Does that say its from Rikke? As in, Legate Rikke of the EMPIRE?" Galmor yelled and snatched the letter from my hands.

"So thats what happened! You left to go be with Rikke! Dont make me call you a traitor." My friends fist collided with the table and his face flushed. I was speechless. What was i supposed to say to him?

"Yes. I snuck away to have a meeting with her." I looked at him in the eyes.

"It doesnt matter anyway." Galmor huffed. "She doesnt even love you back. Next time, dont lie to me." He glared at me and stomped off to his quarters.

I grunted as he walked off. How dare he say such things to his king? I could have his head if i wanted! But.. he wouldnt be the traitor, i would be.

I guess i'll just have to figure this out.