Chapter Two: Riley Matthews

I am so glad that Uncle Josh is alright. It's funny how Maya thinks hope is for suckers and I don't. Hope should be for everyone, but everyone doesn't want that in their lives unfortunately.

Maya is so happy to see that Josh is alive. I've never seen her so happy ever since she kissed Josh and he asked her to be his girlfriend.

You have to admit, I wasn't totally thrilled about them dating at first. I didn't care about the age difference, I just thought it was weird that my uncle is dating my best friend. Then I realized that they belong together, for the rest of their lives. The school bell rings. I grab my books and enter the hallway with Maya.

"Hey, Riles?" She says.

"Peaches." I say.

"I'm not coming over this afternoon. I'm visiting Boing at the hospital," She says. "He's getting discharged today."

"No problem. Actually Farkle is coming over, we've gotta work on on our assignment." I say.

My dad assigned me with Farkle for our History assignment, and Lucas is partnered up with Maya. We know Maya isn't going to do any of the work, so I feel bad for Lucas. I feel arms wrapped around my waist.

"Hi." Lucas says. He kisses my cheek.

"Hi." I say, my heart racing. 

"Ugh, gross." Maya says and leaves.

"Text me!" I holler to her.

"Am I still coming over after school?" Lucas asks.

"Actually no, change of plans. Farkle and I are going to be working on our History assignment tonight." I say. He raises an eyebrow.

"Alright. See you tomorrow." He says and quickly kisses me on the lips. I watch him leave, eyeing his ass. Someone in the hall stares at me weirdly and I quickly turn around, facing my locker.

"Hey Riley. Are you ready?" Farkle asks, leaning against the locker next to mine.

I grab my books, shove them in my bag and slam my locker door shut.

"Yup!" I say.

He nods and we start heading for my apartment.

•🧩•

We arrive at my apartment and I go to the fridge. I see a pitcher of Lemonade and grab it.

"Do you want some Lemonade, Farkle?" I ask. I turn around and see him flipping through pages of his textbook.

"Sure." He says, without looking up.

I grab two glasses out of the cupboard and poured some Lemonade in them. I put it back in the fridge and sit down with him, placing the glasses on the coffee table.

"Where are your parents?" Farkle asks.

"My mom is at a friend's house in Philadelphia with Auggie and my dad is at a meeting at the school." I say.

He and I take our drinks and take a sip at the same time. This tastes weird... It tastes... Addicting.