A Not-So Peaceful Morning

Aphmau's POV:

The morning light shone through my eyelids and I cracked them open, only to be blinded. Just five more minutes. I told myself in my head and rolled over, squeezing my eyes shut tightly so there was no light. I was about half asleep until I felt a heavy weight on my stomach. I groaned and squinted just enough to see what had happened.

"Get off me Alesa." She was sitting on my stomach, I could tell she was purposely trying to be as heavy as possible.

"Not until you wake up." She responded. I didn't say anything and she adjusted herself, digging her elbow into my ribcage. "I could do this all day." She examined her nails. Alesa was crushing my lungs, making it pretty much impossible to breath, so I rolled over again with full force, sending her straight to the ground. "OW!"

"Ahh," I sat up and stretched. "I'm awake." I smiled, heading straight for the door. There was plenty of time to get ready and I couldn't be bothered to get changed. I wanted to put that off for as long as possible. Alesa followed behind me, muttering things to herself under her breath.

"Mornin'!" I greeted Shelby as I made my way into the kitchen.

"Looks like you're finally up." She smiled and turned away from the stove and placed the eggs she was cooking onto three plates. "And Alesa got knocked down." Shelby gestured to the big bruise on Alesa's head.

"That was only because-!"

THUMP!

We all stopped and turned to hallway past the kitchen door.

"Did you guys hear that?" I asked the girls, mainly to know whether it was my imagination or not.

THUMP! 

As if to confirm the sound came again.

THUMP! THUMP! CLANG!

This time it ended with a noise that sounded like metal hitting metal. The ring hung in the air for a few extra seconds before dying out.

"It's coming from the hall." Alesa was the first to move, taking cautious steps the whole way there. I was next, then Shelby. The sounds continued, echoing from an unknown location. We practically had to play 'hotter and colder' just to pinpoint exactly where it was coming from. But when we did, we traced the sound back to a huge painting that took up half of the wall in the hallway that lead to the kitchen.

 But when we did, we traced the sound back to a huge painting that took up half of the wall in the hallway that lead to the kitchen

"A painting?" Shelby stared at it.

"Things aren't always as they seem. Girls, help me lift this thing." I grabbed the side of it and pulled, but it wouldn't budge. Shelby tried to help but still nothing.

"Ladies, ladies. Step back and let the professional do her thing." Alesa pushed us aside and tried to take it down by herself, but failed. Just as horribly as we did. "Just..NGG! A little....UG!" Suddenly, the painting flipped open, like a hatch, and sent Alesa crashing into the wall. We ran over to help her up, then turned back at the painting.