Chapter 8

A cold breeze touches my cheeks; it feels familiar somehow. I try to look for cover, and I seem to find it. I cuddle up to the warmth. The restless thought crosses my mind, but that doesn't stop my body from having a growing peace. I'm so confused.

I can't place any of it. Maybe, I'll just rest in it. if I give into slumber, I could rest up then be able to know what's going on. I close my eyes letting sleep envelope me.

"Karla is time to wake up" I would be able to recognize the voice anywhere. It was my mom. All sort of emotions rushed through me. My eyelids open reassure by the soft light coming from my nightstand that I'm home. My eyes glance at the ceiling to see my bed top. It had the handmade adornments my mother made for me.

Everything exactly like I used to remember it. It looks so familiar. I only knew I was weeping when my mother points it out, "Oh, dear. What's wrong?" She moves closer to my bed, a soft hand on my cheeks. My mother, Kallupa. She looks younger than most. Her skin has a light of youth every time she smiles. It's something I have wished for ever since I left home.

She is wearing a baby blue disposable nurse outfit. I could stare at her beautiful blue orbs. They have a different feeling than Loreine's. Kallupa cleans my tears away with her thump, "What's got you so work up, dear?" I really didn't want this moment to end.

"You are here, mother. I am back home with you" I explain to her how much I missed her. She smiles as warmth envelopes me. Everything falls into place while she seats down on my bed. Kallupa helps me seat up, "I was worry about you" Sadness and helplessness cover my mother's features. Now, it was my time to be confused by her. She looks up at me, "I supposed you don't remember? You had a horrible fever before you could leave. George requested for me to take care of you"

"Ohh... that would explain so much. I am glad it was only a bad dream" Kallupa brings me into a hug. I, welcome the familiar gesture, am so happy it was only a dream. We stayed like that for a few long minutes until she pulls back, "I should start preparing breakfast while you get ready for it?" She asked me, not sure if I was hungry. I smile to her, "I am starving for some reason. I feel like I haven't eaten in so long" I explain to her as she nods. 

She stands up from the bed, "Let me help you, dear"  She moves my bedsheets to the side. I look up at her as she smiles at me. I let her help me off of bed. I could hardly feel my feet as she holds me tighter, so I don't fall on the floor. It was like my legs turn to bricks as I couldn't feel them or walk on them. Kallupa or I didn't say anything in particular.

I have had worst Fever's side effect than this. I am just really happy. I am not dealing with this alone. My mother is here. This can only mean I can stay at home with her. I am going to be home schooled! She will be with me through it all. I won't have to leave my mother.

My thoughts were interrupted "How is that, dear?" I notice, my mother got me out of my clothes and into the bathtub. I look down at the cold water "It's perfect. thanks, mom" Kallupa checks my forehead confuse at my response. I realize is not as formal as I normally speak to her. I look up at her about to apologize "Forgive me, mother. I have spent a long time with the nice Werewolves of Oregon. Their behavior robs on me" The words left my mouth without my realization.

A concerned look comes on Kallupa's features "Dear, what are you talking about? You were never out of my sight since you got the fever. I have been with you day in and day out. What are you going on about Oregon? You have never walked out of home" I lay back into the bathtub letting her words sink in. If I was never there, that means I never met anyone.

All the nice people of Oregon. All the Teachers, was that a dream? Part of my fever's side effects, perhaps? That can't be true. It feels so real. Everything I lived. How can it be possible that I never left? I remember it all. I was having lunch with Luna a few days ago. We talk about her life in Oregon. Where she grows up? Who did she grow up with? Her sister. My own guilt knowing Loreine put her sister into that slumber.

The guilt, the pain, and the sadness. It all feels so real. Was it all really a dream? Was I dreaming this all? I am unable to believe this. I can't. Kallupa, mother, she wouldn't lie to me about something so serious.

All my friends... I am so confused.

I couldn't believe it. She washes my head as I stare at the water. It was quiet. She washes off the conditioner then looks down at me. She gives a heavy sigh "I am sorry, dear. I didn't mean to sound so harsh. Maybe, the fever created that fake reality for you? It could be a new side effect. You could have dreamed it all. A dream of something you truly wanted?" I didn't respond to her comfort tone. I only nod to her while the memories of Oregon envelope me.

A fake reality, she says. How is that possible. I know the difference between dreams and realities. That felt truly real. It is real. She says is not real...

Then where did all this memories and emotions came from?  It all so confusing. Kallupa is never wrong, but why do I feel like I am missing something.