31 • Anna

Mystic Falls 1864

Aliona's P.O.V

Father had asked for the three of us to meet in the garden, we went on a walk with him in the cold brisk morning. He had sent a servant to come and get me, telling me that he had important matters to discuss.

As usual I walked next to Damon, he was significantly taller than me but I felt safer around father next to Damon as he was the oldest.

"As descendants of one of the founding families they'll want to know that they can count on you." Father explained as we walked, I didn't really understand what he was going on about but knew better than to question him.

"Well of course they can." Stefan assured him as I nodded again. "Is there any doubt?" I'd always admired Stefan and they way that he wasn't afraid to ask father questions, ever since mother died I barely spoke to him.

"I'm not sure your brother Damon understands the importance of duty." Father spoke and I looked up at Damon with a frown, he himself looked shocked.

"Damon left the confederacy on principal, it was his choice and he should be respected." Stefan defended him as I realised what father was talking about.

"Forgive me if I don't respect a deserter." Father spoke as Damon looked angry.

"I never asked for your respect." Damon spoke back as I gasped, grabbing his hand as I knew he'd made a mistake. I felt Damon squeeze my hand in reassurance, as if that would help me feel better.

"Good for you Damon, because all I have is disappointment." Father spoke down to him as I glanced at Stefan in fear.

"You said the t-town was in trouble?" I questioned timidly, breaking the tense silence.

"Yes, there's been too many deaths." Father nodded grimly. "It's time for us to fight back, stop these killers."

"Killers?" I squeaked in fear, looking around as if one may be in the yard.

"What are you talking about?" Stefan asked.

"We live amongst demons." Father explained as I frowned, demons?

"You're being cryptic now father." Damon spoke bitterly as I tensed up. "Why don't you just say the word?"

"Vampires." Father stated as something moved out of the corner of my eye, I turned slightly to see Katherine, Emily and a girl my age called Anna walking together out of a greenhouse. "They exist and they live amongst us, but we have a plan to kill them." Father continued as I turned back to see my brother's troubled faces. "And you two are going to help us." He motioned to Stefan and Damon.

"What about Ali?" Damon asked as I nodded, wondering why father had told me such information.

"I need you to be aware of these vampires Aliona, help me identify any that could be living in this area." Father spoke as I nodded, feeling important. "Now off you go, I have work to attend to and don't expect any disruptions today." Father spoke bluntly before walking off.

"Damon." I spoke as I looked at the floor. "Are the vampires going to kill us?" I questioned as the idea of living amongst monsters began to scare me.

"No, I won't let them." Damon smiled as he lowered himself so he was level with me. I glanced up to see Stefan cautiously glancing in Katherine's direction as Damon did the same.

"I-is Katherine..." I began to speak with a frown as panic flashed over Damon's features. "Is she a-a vampire?" I asked carefully as Damon glanced at Stefan.