4 • Civilian Casualties (edited)

Aliona's P.O.V

I woke up the next morning with no desire to return to school, the hurt of seeing Stefan every day was becoming unbearable.

After I got to school, I endured the whole day trying to push the terrible thoughts and memories out of my brain. It was working until I got to History.

I'd now have to deal with Stefan and Mr. Tanner, that's a recipe for disaster.

"The battle of Willow Creek, at the end of the war took place here in Mystic Falls. How many casualties were there in this battle?" Tanner quizzed making everybody instantly look away.

I knew the answer, I was there. It was the day my brothers died, I hope this lesson made Stefan as sad and uncomfortable as it was making me.

"Ms. Bennett." Tanner's voice made Bonnie jump and everyone sighed in relief that he hadn't chosen them.

"Ummm... A lot?" She suggested making some people chuckle. "I'm not sure, but like a whole lot."

"Cute becomes dumb in an instant Ms. Bennett." Tanner's words made me chuckle slightly, even though it was my friend who these words were directed at. He continued to ask Matt and then Elena, who both didn't know the answer.

"There were 346 casualties unless you were counting local civilians." Stefan interrupted the class, it made me mad how he was talking about it so calmly.

"That's correct Mr..."

"Salvatore," Stefan spoke almost proudly, surely he should've been wise enough to change his own name before coming to the town he grew up and died in.

"Any relation to the original settlers here in Mystic Falls?" Tanner asked making me gasp slightly.

"Distant," Stefan spoke after an unsettlingly long pause and looked in my direction.

"Very good. Except of course there were no civilian casualties in this battle." Tanner spoke making me frown.

There were definitely civilian casualties that night sir, one of them is sat in your classroom. I said in my head whilst having to bite my tongue to resist saying it out loud.

"Actually there was 27 sir, soldiers fired on the church" They fired at everyone. "Believing it to be housing weapons," you mean vampires. "They were wrong," no they weren't. "It was a night of great loss." Stefan carried on speaking but I'd tuned out at this point, not wanting to hear about the textbooks account of that day.

How did he talk so calmly about it?

Why did he talk so calmly about it?

The bell-ringing interrupted my thoughts, I got up and made my way to the door. I was eager to get back home so I could get ready for the party at the falls tonight.

*

I arrived at the falls with Elena and Bonnie, as soon as we got there I was in love with the place. The bonfire created a warm glow and strong smell that brought everyone together, it seemed.

My senses were almost overwhelmed with the number of people doing individual things at the same time.

"He has that romance novel stare." Bonnie laughed with Elena as I rolled my eyes, they hadn't stopped going on about Stefan and even asked me at one point if I thought he was attractive. "So where is he?" Bonnie asked whilst we all looked around.

"I don't know," I spoke hoping to deflect the conversation onto anything other than my brother.

"You tell me, you're the psychic one," Elena spoke making us all laugh.

"Right I forgot! Okay, give me a second." Bonnie closed her eyes. "Gran says I need to concentrate."

"Wait let me get you a crystal ball," Elena spoke and turned to my empty bottle, I let her take it and she held it out to Bonnie.

The second Bonnie's hand wrapped around the neck of the bottle her eyes shot open and she gasped. I looked at Elena in confusion as Bonnie seemed like she was in a trance or something like that.

She took her hand off the glass swiftly and looked around whilst blinking lots.

"That was weird when I touched you by accident I saw a crow." Bonnie seemed really spooked out by it.

"What?" I asked confused by what she was getting at.

"A crow, there was fog, a man... I'm drunk! I've been drinking, there's nothing psychic about it." Bonnie spoke too quickly for my liking and everyone seemed a bit creeped out by the whole thing now. "Okay, I'm gonna go get a refill." Bonnie walked off quickly leaving me with Elena to call after her.

It was weird behavior, sort of the same that I remember from a long time ago. Katherine's maid was a witch, what was her name. I racked my brain trying to remember the witches name, Emily Be-

Before I could finish my train of thought, I turned around to look at Elena to see that Stefan was now also present. Great.

"Yeah, I'm going to get a refill too," I mumbled before following after Bonnie even though I didn't really see where she went, anywhere's better than with him.

I walked around for a bit on my own. Realizing that I couldn't find anyone, I sat down on a log and took a long swig of whatever drink it was I was holding.

"Somebody help!" I heard Elena shout and immediately shot up to see what was wrong, I turned around to see Jeremy holding a limp Vicki in his arms.

"Vicki?" I asked whilst walking over to her, Matt was freaking out and so was Tyler. I helped to move people back out of the way to give them some space.

"It's her neck something bit her and it's really bad, she's losing a lot of blood!" Elena yelled making me freeze on the spot, I searched the crowd of faces surrounding us until I saw him.

He looked confused and angry before backing out of the crowd and into the shadows. I knew Vicki needed help, but I couldn't stand the smell of her blood any longer so I followed Stefan.

I heard Matt yelling to me but I continued to run, I'd lost sight of Stefan but I knew exactly where he'd go.

----------------------

Thanks everyone for reading, it means a lot! :D
Please vote and I love hearing what you guys think so comment :)

Stay Weird

Abnormal2Weird