Chapter 8: The investigation

Start from the beginning

"O my God." This is getting more familiar, as the story goes. "What's the name of the Officer?"

"SPO1 Cesar Dick."

"Cesar Dick?" I asked again, almost laughing at the fitting name.

"Yes."

"Not um, Detective Jerry Karait?" I carefully followed.

"No hun. Not that innocent and handsome and cute detective. If you're a local of this country, you should know how that man mysteriously died. He died during the 'mysterious deaths' in this province while investigating about it."

"But you people still don't believe that there are Tree Demons? With these... these horrible deaths?"

"No hun. That year was also the start of the Dutereiman Administration. You know, the remarkable president who made this country into a developed country? He kills criminals, though. Extra judicial. That's why he was impeached. So, yeah, we thought those deaths were just a part of his "justified" killings, besides, the dead people were almost criminals. They said. But that Detective was just investigating, hun. For that period, a lot of people left this place. Most are the people who believed they were the doings of the Tree Demons."

"And Alice, what does this people looked like?" I asked again.

"Tall. They said. Grey skin. Red Veins. Long horns. Black eyes. Robes."

I took out my doodle from the other day. "This?"

She looked at it in shock. She took something from a drawer nearby, and showed it to me. "This." She gave a picture of a man in robes, grey skin, red veins, black eyes, and long horns. For some reasons, my heart skipped and hitched. This is definitely not the person I am feeling, but for some reasons, my memory is going wild.

The moment I went to see a... rabbit?

The moment when our window was destroyed by a... thief?

My dream when Geddie was visited by a tree branch with a beautiful midnight flower?

The rose that I definitely gave to the... rabbit?

See, that does not make sense. And to think that my memory is messing me up like this, I have a feeling it's a supernatural's doing. I don't know what, though, but my main choice for now is to go to the forest.

I took a picture of the photo using my phone, gave it to Alice, payed respects, and went on my way. Before I go, though, I told Alice not to tell anyone my questions. I merely told her that I was actually under investigation of my Uncle's death, and that it's a national secret. She was thrilled, that young lady, and promised me that she will never tell anyone.

I took a bicycle to the forest, as the new wide road is a very long walk. I remembered when Geddie and I crashed here together with the criminals and I feel on the forest cliff then got rescued afterwards. But looking back, the police car was not even that destroyed. Just a few scratches and some twigs and leaves.

Like, my memory was completely altered to forget something.

But whoever altered my memory, he sucks at playing with logic. If it was Geddie, I doubt I would wonder about anything. That guy is fool proof and would be a headache if he decides to be a criminal.

Putting the bicycle on the ground, I immediately ran down the safe slope of the cliff. I was doing it carefully, but being as the clumsy police officer I am, I tripped on the wet mud and cascaded down the slope. I saw a sharp rock ahead of me, and thought, oh god, this is why father gives me physically capable partners. This is why Geddie told me I will die before starting my investigations by simply being weak. My partners have kept me alive all this time, I admit that.

Before my head slams the rock, I closed my eyes and thought about the possible headlines of my death.

"Stupid police officer, died by tripping on the mud." Geddie will not investigate further because he knows it's true, and my father will face palm on my funeral together with my past partners.

Good bye, universe. And fuck you, stupid mud and cruel sharp rock.

My ribs hit a hard and rough thing, and my breathing hitched, anticipating my funny death. But when I opened my eyes, I saw a tree branch that was not there before. Maybe I got blind and did not see it? Whatever, but thank you, tree branch.

I stood up, supporting myself using the tree branch. I laughed at the circumstance, clapped my palms together to remove the dirt, and then continued on my way.

I looked at the forest, the big wide forest, and shit I don't know where to start.

<Updates are every Saturday>