Chapter 1: Upon the woods

A clear afternoon, a smooth province wind slightly tarnished by the urban smog from the nearby city, a wide and quiet semi-rural road, and a red truck chased by a police car. Never would I think that my first field assignment would be this adventurous. Police Officer Geddy Karait is beside me, talking to the radio about our current situation. We are following a red truck that is alleged of kidnapping young women from this Province. We've been chasing this truck for a couple of minutes, and the Officer has already called reinforcements to corner the wild driver. We haven't seen the face of the driver, we don't even know his identity, or gender, or height. Because despite of the rustiness of the car, it seems that the windows are covered with expensive coating that prevents us from seeing the driver.

I am driving the police car, and it seems like the speed cannot go beyond 130 kph. Stupid low-budget car.

Finally, for some reasons, the truck stopped in the middle of the road. Out of gas or whatever, the officer told me stand down, get the gun, and expect for some ambush. To say that I'm nervous is a major understatement. Like I said, this is my first field assignment. I'm a detective, not a riot police, or a criminal chaser. I do my job in a forensics lab down the city, but because of some circumstances, I was demoted to the province by my own father. Long story short, I don't want this job, I don't like chasing criminals, and I'm not ready for an ambush. I'm a 25 year old young male, and I still want to live to marry my longtime crush.

However, I'm in this situation, pursuing a criminal.

"Hansel, shoot the tire." Officer Karait said as he silently approach the side of the car. I did and shot the tire of the car, careful not to hit the exhaust or else we all die with an explosion. Officer Karait shouted, "Get out of the car peacefully!"

His voice was scary and convincing, however, there was no answer. He looked at me and nodded, meaning he will break the glass and I will assist him if some resistance will happen.

Officer Karait brakes the glass. From afar, I thought he would be more aggressive with the criminal in exposure, but what I saw was a face of confusion. Officer Karait broke his expression and pursued the back of the car. Still no aggression.

I put my stance down to walk towards the confused officer. "Sir, is something wrong?"

Officer Karait looks at me, then his eyes widen. "Hansel! Behind you!"

There was no time for me to look back as some force slammed my body to a nearby cliff. I fell down the cliff, my body rolled and rolled on the hard rocks, on the dead leaves and spiky tree branches. I stopped rolling down and my body fell on a soft bed of dead orange leaves. I might look safe, but my body has been through a harsh rolling. I think my ribs broke and punctured my lungs because it was hard for me to breath. I might not last long, not only that, a man from above the cliff was trying to aim me with his gun. Officer Karait was shouting and fighting with another man. And me, I'm probably done for.

How about my Luisa?

The sun was turning orange and I just enjoyed the view. Maybe it would make my soul calm down as it travels to another world. Suddenly, a bullet hit my stomach. I cried in pain and somehow, it woke me up. I don't want to die yet. I'm still young. I still have NBI cases named to me as a detective. I still have to complete my one year field work. And today was just the first day! I'm such a loser.

I don't want to die. Somebody. Somebody help.

Suddenly, the gun shots stopped, followed by unfamiliar screams. Tree branches moved against the wind as it whipped around and around, hitting the criminals. Officer Karait ran to the car and tried to drive down the cliff to get me. But according to the angle of the cliff and the car, he will roll down as well. Fortunately, a tree branch took the car as it was about the roll over and put it on the road.

"Hansel!" He shouted. Heh. He's a brave and thoughtful officer, but he can be stupid. "Hansel, I can't run down. I called for help. Just wait, Hansel."

I did not respond. Too weak to do anything.

"Hansel, you still there buddy?"

Yep. I just can't shout back. My chest hurt.

"Shit!" He shouted. Poor guy, he must have thought I'm dead. I heard the police car drove fast away. Probably calling for help faster. He shouldn't tire himself, I'm done for. But somehow, I want to live, so, somebody... help me.