Chapter 24

"So how'd it go?" I asked Mr Knight once the classroom was empty. He looked up from the stack of papers on his desk before saying, "it was fine."

"Are you sure? He didn't seem freaked out or anything?" I asked anxiously but he only smiled moving to stand in front of his desk, right in front of me. "He seemed fine" he said, "he's going to love his new school."

"If you say so" I breathed out still not sure about this whole thing. I think he should have waited a while before sending him to school. Nolan's still very uncomfortable around people. He should not have done it.

I imagined him alone on the playground without friends or anyone to talk to. It made me sad and angry.

I jumped when the bell rang. If I didn't leave now, I was going to be late for my next class seeing as it was rather far from my history class. I had a hand on the door ready to bolt it out of there but Damon calling out my name made me pause. "I just wanted you to know that I wrote down your name as his emergency contact." He said.

"Oh" I said surprised not really sure what to say about that. I settled for a small smile and he smiled back. For some reason it felt like we were raising a child like a couple.

'Shut the hell up' I chided myself in my head. I finally made it out of Mr Knight's classroom and I had less than two minutes to make it to my next class. I ran to my next class hoping not to bump into any teacher.

I walked into the class ready to give a heartfelt apology for being late but Mrs Harper wasn't there yet. Sighing with relief, I made it to my seat and slumped down on it. I made it in time.

I had sat in class for twenty minutes and Mrs Harper was still nowhere to be found. It was quite unlike her; she was never late. The woman hated tardiness and gave detentions to anyone that was even a minute late.

I took to doodling in my book while I waited. The rest of the students around me talked in various cliques. Ashen wasn't in my English class so I had no one to talk to. It was quite sad that we pretty much just kept to ourselves and didn't bother making friends with the others not like they bothered to be friendly with us either.

I was okay with that though.

The noise in the classroom immediately stopped when the door opened and everyone took their respective seats. Mrs Harper, finally, walked in with a guy trailing behind her. His face was hidden by his hoodie and he kept his head down. Murmurs arose among everyone in the classroom but one glare from Mrs Harper immediately quieted them down.

"Sorry I'm late" she said, "anyway we have a new student." She said turning to the figure that stood in front of the class and who everyone was currently paying rapt attention to. "Please introduce yourself to the class" she said to him, "and no hoodies allowed," she reprimanded.

All the way from the back I could hear his groan as he took off his hoodie revealing dark brown hair, gray eyes and really beautiful cheek bones but that wasn't what caught my attention. He looked very familiar. Not sure how I knew him and I don't remember but I did.

"I'm Drew Benson" he said and from the look he gave Mrs Harper, he wasn't willing to go further than that. The name did not jog back any memories but he looked very familiar.

"Take a seat" she said like there were multiple seats he could choose from when there was only one and that was the one right in front of me. The new boy's eyes roamed the class and they finally fell on the empty seat. He moved towards the seat and only when he was standing right next to it did he bother to look up and right at me.