Chapter 30

(Mal's POV)

When I finally got to the hospital, my first thought was to find where Jay was. I asked Mom and Mama, but they had no idea. Ben said he had one.

He walked me up two stories and to Beverly's room. It broke my heart to see her in the state she was, hunched over on the floor, sobbing her heart out. Ben stepped forward but I pushed him back, making my way towards the younger girl. I gently picked her up like I used to when she was little. "Hey Blue Jay," I whispered. 

She looked up at me and sobbed into my shirt. I sighed and set her on the chair in Beverly's room, then pulled up another one right next to it. I took her hands. "Blue Jay, you gotta breathe," I whispered. 

She took a deep, shaky breath, and I pulled her back into my arms as she tried to calm down. I saw Ben out of the corner of my eye and he smiled at me. I smiled back as Jay sat up. "Thanks Mal," she leaned her head on my shoulder.

After a while of sitting in silence, we stood up, and walked back to where Mom and Mama were standing. Jay went into the arms of one of her fathers, and we decided to go home until morning, when we would know how the surgery went.

...

When I made it back to my apartment I took my phone out of my pocket for the first time since I left for the hospital. 

<Tori> Dude you awake?

<Tori> Duuuuude c'mon

<Tori> I know you're awake asshole answer me

<Tori> I literally just saw your car pass my complex answer me

<Tori> Unless you're driving, then plz don't

<Tori> I SAW IT AGAIN WHERE ARE YOU GOING THIS LATE AT NIGHT

<Tori> IT IS THREE AM MAL

<Tori> C'mon if you're awake answer me

I laughed and texted her back. 

<Mal> A friend of mine was in the hospital

<Tori> Oh no! I'm so sorry! What happened?

<Mal> Her right lung collapsed, she's in surgery now

<Tori> Whoa. Hey uh, could I come over?

<Mal> Why?

<Tori> My roommate is out of town and I think I just heard gunshots and yeah

<Mal> Awww is Tori scared?

<Tori> What?! No way!

<Mal> Sure you loser, come on over

<Tori> Thanks, be there in five

I put my phone up and got some blankets from the closet. I started making popcorn and took out some movies. I always knew when Tori was scared she would want to watch movies. We had been doing this a lot lately, she didn't live in the best neighborhood. 

There was a knock at the door and I looked through the peephole. The blond hair gave it away that it was her, but she was also in my sweatshirt. I opened the door and she hurried in, barely saying a word. "Hey are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah just... scared," she admitted, and I pulled her into a hug.

"You're safe here," I whispered. "You know that."

She nodded into my shirt as the microwave dinged. I let go of her and told her to pick out a movie from the ones I had pulled out. I got the popcorn out and poured it into a bowl. I grabbed two water bottles and brought them over to her. I handed her a bottle and put the popcorn in between us. "What're we watching?" I asked.

"The Conjuring," she mumbled, and I looked at her strangely.

"A scary movie? Tori you hate scary movies."

"I need something that will distract me from reality."

I sighed but put the movie in anyways. As it played I could feel her getting more and more tense. I looked over at her and she had turned as white as a sheet.

"You okay?"

She wasn't expecting me to say anything, because it startled her and she jumped up, spilling the popcorn bowl in the process. "S-sorry," she looked down sheepishly. "I'll pick it up."

"Nah I'll get it afterwards," I moved the now empty bowl from between us. "C'mere."

She moved closer and leaned her head on my shoulder. While I hadn't said anything, I had begun developing feelings for this girl. This girl I had met less than two weeks ago. This girl who was probably straight. This girl who made me feel like I mattered. This girl who loved me for me.

I held her close to me until the movie ended, and then felt her go limp as we started another one. I carried her upstairs to my room and laid her in my bed. I tucked her in and chuckled to myself as she began to drool. I walked back downstairs and started cleaning up, putting the blankets back in the closet and putting the popcorn bowl in the sink. 

I kept one blanket on the couch and laid down on it, pulling the blankets over me. I fell asleep almost instantly.

...

"Mal!" I was jolted awake.

I ran upstairs to my room and found Tori shaking in my room. I ran to her side and pulled her into a hug. "Hey you're okay," I whispered. "You're safe, I've got you. What happened?"

"They shot her," she began to cry, and I realized she was talking about her roommate.

"Shh, it was all a nightmare," I stroked her blond hair. 

She shook for a little while later before sitting up, and looking at me. I began to get lost in her ocean blue eyes, even as tears filled them. I put my hand on her cheek, and I felt myself move closer to her, just as she did. What was I doing? I had never done this?

I didn't have time to question it, because before I knew it, the space between our lips was nonexistent. 

A/N: Well hello there! Didn't expect this today did you? Welllll get ready because from now on there will be TWO updates every week! Monday nights and Friday mornings! So, end the worst day of the week with something good and start your weekend too! Jk jk sorry that sounded kinda mean actually. But thank you so much for reading! You guys have no idea how much all of your reads and votes and comments mean to me! And those of you who vote and comment on basically every chapter, you da real MVP 😉. Hope you have a great rest of your week!