Chapter 24

(Tori's POV)

You don't expect when you go on your daily walk to run into someone as beautiful as Mal. She invited me inside, and we decided to watch a movie. About halfway through she fell asleep, and fell into a lying position on the couch. I chuckled and got up, and found a blanket on the other chair. I covered her up and put my hand to her forehead, nervous that she might be getting sick. Luckily I felt no fever.

I grabbed a trashcan and put it by her head next to the couch. If she got sick again, at least she wouldn't have to run to the bathroom. I sat in the chair and played on my phone for a little while before I heard her stir. "Tori?" she called out.

"Hmm?" I turned to her. "You alright?"

"Thank you," she breathed. "I don't even know you and you came to my rescue."

"Anytime," I smiled. 

She smiled back. "You really don't have to stay," she sighed. "Not that I don't like you here, I just don't want to get you sick, you said you hated throw up."

"Yeah," I sighed. "Wait, let's exchange numbers, that way if you need me or I need you I can text you."

"Sounds good."

We both unlocked our phones and put each other's numbers in. I gave her a small hug before heading towards the door. "Stay hydrated," I smiled. "I don't want you getting any worse."

She chuckled and nodded. I left, with one thought on my brain.

Mallory Pugh, a beautiful name for a beautiful girl.

(General POV)

Ben, Beverly, and Jay were all standing by their lockers in the local high school. Beverly was talking a mile a minute, Ben was laughing, but Jay was being rather quiet compared to her normal self. Beverly had to go to one of her classes early, to get help with a project she had, so Ben and Jay were left alone. "Look, I don't want to seem like a stereotype," Ben started gently, putting his hand on Jay's shoulder. "But are you on your period? You're holding your stomach and you aren't acting very Jay-like."

"I can't hide anything from you can I?" Jay sighed. "I don't feel great Ben."

He brushed her blond hair out of her face and put his hand on her forehead. "Jay, I think you've got a fever," he said sympathetically. "You want me to take you to the nurse?"

"Yes please," she leaned on him.

Ben put his arm around her. "Come on superstar," he kissed the top of her head. "Your bro has got you."

She laughed, and he smiled upon hearing it. He brought her to the nurse's office and realized that if he didn't hurry back he would be late for class. "I'll see you after school," he hugged her. "I'll see if I can get out of soccer practice."

Jay nodded, curling into a ball on the hard cot. Ben frowned, kissing her head. He hated leaving her like this, she was like a sister to him, and he wanted to make sure she was okay. Ben rushed back to class, but he barely payed attention all day. At lunch, he met up with Beverly and her boyfriend, Zach. "Where's Jay?" Beverly asked, sitting down.

"Went home sick," Ben explained.

"Aw, poor thing," Beverly frowned.

"I'm going to go over to her house after school," Ben concluded. "She probably wants a cuddle and movie night, besides it's Friday so it's not like I've got anywhere else to be."

"Babe, I don't want you over there," Zach turned to Beverly. "I don't want you to get sick before the big game next week."

"Alright," Beverly sighed. "Tell Jay I hope she feels better."

Ben groaned inside his head. He was really starting to dislike Zach. He never let Beverly do anything, and she was always with him now. She never seemed to want to hang out with him or Jay anymore. 

Lunch soon ended and eventually class did too. Ben managed to get out of going to soccer practice, and rushed home. "Mom, Mama, I'll be at Jay's," Ben called, setting his backpack against the wall. 

Tobin and Press chuckled. "I wonder why she isn't over here," Press leaned her head on Tobin's shoulder.

"No idea," Tobin kissed her head. 

When Ben knocked on the door, Lily answered. She was eleven now. "You here to see Jay?" she asked.

"Yup," he smiled. "How is she?"

"Throwing up," Lily sighed. "Is Beverly coming?"

"No," Ben shook his head. "Zach doesn't want her getting sick."

Lily rolled her eyes. "That's great."

"Where's Gwen?"

"Soccer practice."

Ben nodded, saying a quick goodbye, and then headed upstairs. He heard retching coming from her bedroom and quickly opened the door, finding her throwing up into a trashcan. He rushed over and scooped her hair up, using his free hand to trace small circles on her back. "Hi," she choked when she finished.

He gave her a sympathetic smile. "Hey," he grabbed the washcloth that was sitting in a bucket of water, and wiped her face off. "Has it been like this all day?"

She nodded miserably. Ben sighed and crawled into her bed, wrapping his arms around her. She buried her face in his shirt, and he could feel her burning skin. "Where are your dads?" he questioned.

"They both went out with friends for the weekend, they left me in charge of Gwen and Lily."

"Why don't all of you come over? You can't watch them like this and I know my parents won't let me stay without an adult around with a girl."

Jay laughed. "They really think we would do that?"

"They said we can't be too careful," he joined in her laughter.

"Sure, I guess we could go to your house," Jay sighed, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Thanks."

"Anytime."