Chapter 25

After Gwen and Lily got their stuff, Ben carried Jay over. "Jay!" Tobin and Press rushed over to the sick girl.

"Hi," she croaked, as Tobin took her out of Ben's arms.

"Oh honey, you're burning up," Tobin frowned, setting her on the couch. "Ben go get a bucket with cold water and some washcloths."

Ben ran off. Press grabbed a thermometer and stuck it in her mouth. "Gwen, Lily, Dani is upstairs if you want to hang out with her."

Gwen and Lily ran off, just as the thermometer began to beep. "101," Press sighed when she looked at it.

Ben came back with the water and cloths. "Thanks Benny," Tobin smiled. "Would you do me a favor and check on the triplets?"

"Yes ma'am," he smiled, seeing that his best friend was in good hands.

He ran upstairs to find all three triplets on the floor in the two boys' room, playing catch with a rolling ball. "Hey kiddos," he sat down in between Axel and Angelica.

"Benny, you wanna play?" Adrian asked, smiling brightly across the room from me.

"Sure bud," Ben smiled back.

They passed the ball around for a bit before Ben heard someone knock at the door frame. He turned around and Beverly was standing there. "Why is Jay here?" she asked.

"I took her here," he explained. "Her dads aren't home and she's burning up with a fever, not to mention throwing up. She needs an adult."

Beverly groaned. "Ben I can't get sick! Zach would kill me!"

"He'll get over it," Ben shrugged. "She's our best friend and she's sick."

Beverly threw her head back. "You really don't get," she walked off.

Ben bit his bottom lip. "Hey guys, I'll be back, I need to go check on Jay."

The triplets nodded and he ran off. He went downstairs to see Tobin and Press sitting together on the chair, with Jay lying on the couch. She was shivering, even though she was under plenty of blankets.

"Hey," she rasped as she saw Ben.

"Hey," he sighed, picking her up and setting her in his lap. "How ya feeling superstar?"

"Awful," she groaned, burying her face in his shirt.

"Here," he took off his sweatshirt, then helped her put it on. "Warmer?"

She nodded sleepily, resting her head in the crook of his neck. "I love you," she whispered. "In a platonic sort of way of course."

He chuckled. "I platonically love you too."

...

When Ben woke up, neither of his parents were in the living room. He found a notebook sitting next to him, opened to the first page.

Took the triplets, Dani, Beverly, Gwen, and Lily out for dinner, there's chicken noodle soup for Jay in the fridge, you just gotta warm it up. We'll bring you something. Don't make her eat if she can't.

-Mama

Ben smiled. His moms really did think of everything. He felt Jay stir beneath him. "Hey superstar," he cooed.

"Hi," she rasped.

"Are you hungry at all?"

Jay felt her stomach turn at the slightest thought of food. "No," she said, lying her head on his chest.

"Alrighty then," his arms wrapped a little tighter around her. "How about we watch a movie?"

"What movie?"

"Whatever movie you want."

"Hmm... Little Mermaid?" she begged, giving Ben her puppy dog face.

He chuckled. "Sure, whatever you want."

He turned it on, and Jay snuggled close to him. When 'Under the Sea' came on, he quietly sang along, causing Jay to laugh. He chuckled as well, kissing her head. "I thought that might help," he whispered.

She smiled. "You're the best Ben."

"Yeah, yeah, I know."

Soon, he felt her go limp against his chest. He kissed the top of her head, then fell asleep himself.

...

Press and Tobin opened the door to find the adorable sight. Gwen, Lily, and Dani ran upstairs to hang out, and the triplets all went to the boys' room. Beverly headed towards the stairs, but Press and Tobin stopped her. "Why don't you give Ben a break?" Press asked. "He's been taking care of her all day."

"I can't," Beverly stated simply.

"And why not?" Tobin asked, not liking the tone of voice Beverly was using.

"Zach doesn't want me sick before his big game," she explained, then ran upstairs before either of them could put another word in.

Tobin sighed. "I'm starting to not like this Zach guy," she turned to Press. "What do you think?"

"Maybe he's just looking out for her," Press shrugged. "I'm sure it's nothing."

"I don't know," Tobin's voice was nervous. "I just have this sinking feeling that something's going on that we don't know about."

Press wrapped her arms around her wife's waist. She pecked her lips. "You worry too much, they're fourteen, what could be going on?"

Tobin shrugged, putting her head in the crook of Press' neck. "I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too Toby."

Ben began to woke up. "Hey Ben," Press said, as the two moved towards the couch. "How is she?"

"Not great," he responded. "Still burning up."

Press and Tobin frowned, and Tobin pressed a hand to her forehead. "Yikes," she sighed. "Ben, do you mind giving up your bed tonight?"

"Of course not!" Ben smiled. "She can have it any day, especially when she's like this."

Tobin and Press grinned at their son. Ben carried Jay upstairs, then laid her in bed. She began to stir. "Ben?"

"I'm here," he smiled slightly. "You're gonna sleep up here tonight, okay? I'm gonna take the couch."

"Ben I can't take your bed."

"Yes you can," he kissed her head. "I insist that you do, you're the sick one."

Jay gave him a weak smile. "Thanks for taking care of me."

"Always."

He gave her a small hug before heading back downstairs. He ate the dinner Press and Tobin had brought him and then went back upstairs to grab a blanket and pillow. When he entered his room, he found Jay tossing and turning, so he gently put his hands on her shoulders. She seemed to calm down. He went to fix her blankets, when he realized how cute she looked. She was wearing a pair of Beverly's sweatpants and his sweatshirt. He fixed the covers and grabbed his stuff, then got ready for bed.

That's my best friend, he thought as he lied down. And she's one of those people that I wouldn't trade for the world.