Wrong Place, Wrong Time

Past

Monday, March 24, 2013

8:30 a.m.

Richard stared at the back of his wife's head as she cooked breakfast for herself.  He assumed that she must've still been upset about the choice he made last night.  Corrine hadn't communicated with him since she'd come back from the grocery store with red seedless grapes--her favorite stress snack.  

His decision was for the both of them, surely she'd have to see that once Bleu was out of their lives they could really fix themselves and their marriage--or so he thought.  He tried for a chaste kiss only to have her reject his advances by retracting her face and shaking her head.  The sting of her reaction hurt him in ways he tried not to let show.  "See you when I get off."  He said coldly.

Corrine remained in her spot unit she heard the front door open and close before exhaling.  Today would definitely be the day that she left.  She'd let him stall her long enough with all of his shenanigans, but seeing him try what he just tried despite knowing that they were over, let Corrine know that the deadline has been reached.  She placed the eggs, sausage, and cheese on two pieces of toast before putting the sandwich in a ziploc bag, grabbing her water bottle, keys, and heading off to work.

"How'd it go last night, O'Riley?"  Richard asked as he entered the precinct.  He was betting on good news so that he and Corrine would no longer have any distractions to fix their marriage.

Connor schooled his poker face and gave him a grim look.  "By the time we got there, everything was already cleared out."

"So you mean to tell me that it was a complete bust?  You didn't get anyone?"  Connor nodded ashamed, but not for the obvious reason.

Richard plopped into his seat in disbelief.  "There's no way of nailing him.  These damn people are more willing to face time than to actually come forth with evidence as witnesses."  To anyone else he sounded like a dedicated officer concerned with Baltimore's well being.  In reality, he was only concerned for himself.  He'd fucked up big time and he knew it the moment Connor confessed the failure of the mission.

It was in that moment that Richard regretted not listening to Corrine.  He had been thinking solely on emotion and arrogance, neglecting his logic.  Now they both were in danger.  There was no turning back so his best option was to come up with another plan. Or pray.

Richard sank into his seat as he sat at his desk, pondering over his next possible moves.  His brainstorming was halted when he felt a familiar pair of soft, feminine hands cover his eyes.  "Guess who?"  Her silky smooth voice playfully asked.

No doubt about it, he knew who she was before she said anything.  She always smelled of sweet vanilla.  He pried her hands off his eyes and pulled her in front of him.  "I thought I told you, no affection in public, especially at work."  Though he did enjoy seeing Kyle, he didn't want to risk any word getting back to Corrine.  Call him a fool, but he still held hope that one day they wouls be back to normal.

Kyle scoffed. "No one cares, Morrison.  Everyone here respects you so much that you can get away with whatever.  We're all family here and what happens in Precinct 18, stays here.  So,"  She confidently flipped her hair.  "Feeling up to it today?  Or are you planning to sulk over another lost cause?"  Hesitantly, he shook his head no.  A quickie was the last thing on his mind.

Today he had bigger things to worry about, like saving his life.  If he couldn't figure something out, he knew wholeheartedly that this would be their last meeting.  "On second thought, I'll see you at lunch at the usual place."  He winked.