Chapter 28

CHAPTER 28

Rick's POV

I heard the door bell ring.

"I'll get it." I yelled. As I knew she would be mad if the butler answered the door.

Al laughed. "Don't try so hard to please her Rick. Whatever you do, even if you walk on all fours, I will always be her favourite."

"You wish." I shot back and unlocked the door to let her in.

The woman who stood before me was as beautiful as ever. She was shorter than from when I last saw her. She couldn't have grown shorter, I must have grown taller though I don't think it's possible. Her gloved hands, held her hat which was decorated with pearls. Her blue eyes twinkled smilingly but her mouth twitched upwards reluctantly into a smile. Her face was set in steel.

I engulfed her in a hug and lifted her off her feet. She hugged me back and her smile seemed more real.

She shook her head covered with short snow white hair. "I thought you had stopped growing. But I guess you are on your way to becoming a giant."

I laughed as Al shoved me aside to give her a hug.

"Missed you Nana." He said as she smiled.

 Rosy hugged her next.

"Rosaline darling, how have you been?" She asked her.

"Good, but we missed you around here Cat." Rosy smiled.

"Well I'm back and I'll make you'll rue the days you missed me." She said with a wink and widening her smile.

"Now look at this one Ricky." My maternal grandmother Catherine White said pointing to Rosy. " I know she's a catch. But she's Al's. Now where is your date. I don't see her any where."

"Nana, I could never find a woman as beautiful as you. So I figured you could do me the honour of being my date." I kissed her on the cheek as I helped her out of her coat and handed it to the butler.

She slapped her hat to my chest. "Ricky, will you have me die before I see you married?" She said in her stern voice. I pulled the hat away from her hand as I knew she would repeat the slapping with her hat when ever she heard something distasteful.

"Why don't you feign a heart attack like nana Maggie and force me into a marraige?" I sugessted sarcastically as Al and Rosy laughed.

"I just might." My grandmother winked.

As if on cue we heard shuffling and scuffing from the hallway. "Umm Cat where shoud I put these?" Asked a voice from the door frame. I was shocked and suprised to hear Car's voice. She had a huge box in her hand and another at her feet. She looked flushed and out of breath.

Al and I hurried to help her with the boxes and the butler Mr. Porter followed suit to help us.

"I hope you like these toys boys, the store manager said that these were the latest in the market." My Nana said gesturing to the boxes. I ignored her mockery as I turned my attension to Car.

"What are you doing here?" I asked excited to see her but also confused to see her here at my brother's door step. Her nose was missing a layer of skin from her excessive tissue usage yesterday. She was wearing grey trousers paired with a frilly black shirt and the white coat I had bought her. The coat did not go with her office clothes and yet she managed to look like a million bucks with her dark hair down and eyes as wide as saucers.

Car was about to answer my question. When my Nana questioned me, "You know her?"

Al the know-it-all answered on behalf of me. "Ofcourse Rick knows her Nana. We saw them dancing together at the party on Sunday night."