Chapter 20

CHAPTER 20

Rick's POV

I chucked the phone on the recliner and smiled as I remembered Car's aim. It landed on a cushion which did not belong on the recliner. This part of the room was messier than the rest because I spent most of my time here. I turned around and saw that she was lost in her own thoughts. Her eyes were staring blankly at the wall ahead of her but her mind was far beyond the wall. She was trying to put herself back in the ally.

Her hands were intertwined in front of her and her fingers absentmindedly pinched each other. Her hair was now down and my pillow had styled it for her. She was gnawing her lower lip as she tried to comprehend the information I had just given her. I knew she was finding it hard to believe me. But I knew she would know the entire truth soon enough and that would make her understand.

I took one step towards her. She turned her face away from the wall and looked at me.

"Who was it?" She asked referring to the call.

"The front desk, some detective from the NYPD wants to see you." I answered her. She bent her head studying her feet.

The door bell ding-donged announcing the arrival of the cop. I walked out of my bedroom and into the living room. Car followed me wordlessly. Her eyes were scanning everything around her. She was half curious and the other half of her was sketching an escape plan.

I opened the door and a bald man with sharp piercing green eyes stood at the door frame. I noticed that he was not a natural bald because he was in his early forties, I guess he preferred to shave his head.  He wore blue jeans with a grey shirt and black blazer. He had broad muscular shoulders and a 'don't mess with me' aura about him.

He stepped inside and extended his hand for a shake." Hello Mr. Castle, I'm detective Samuel James." He introduced himself in a gruff voice as we shook hands.

He turned to Car and extended his hand for her. She simply glared at him for a moment and used her stern voice "Can I see your badge or some kind of identification." She demanded.

I could see that Car had earned Detective James's admiration. He held his credentials for her to inspect with a shadow of a smile. She drilled holes in his badge with her searching chocolate eyes. Then she looked sheepishly at him. Using her cute, irresistible to forgive voice she said "Um, I'm sorry detective. It's just that I'm a bit paranoid these days." She shook his hand.

"It's better to be called paranoid than dead." He replied and Car just gave him an unsure smile.

He sat himself on the large couch in the centre. Car chose to sit on the couch on the right which had uneven armrests. The right armrest was too high while the left was too low. I decided to pour all of us a drink as I sat next to Car.

I welcomed the cool liquid that left a trail of fire down my throat. I noticed that Car just twirled the contents of the drink, round and round in her glass but she never took a sip. The detective gulped a mouthful and began.

"Ms. Swan, I want to know if you suspect anyone?" He asked her.

She shook her head a negative.

"Anyone at all, even if you have got the slightest of creeps, tell me." He urged her.

She paused a second to look at me, I realized she was weighing her options of naming me as the suspect and winked at her. She shook her head " No detective, I don't suspect anyone."

I grinned and she rolled her eyes at me.

"Were you alone in an isolated place anytime yesterday?" Detective James inquired.