Chapter 24

CHAPTER 24

Rick's POV

I steered the wheel of my car to make the appropriate turn. My eyes were on the road but my thoughts were with the one sitting beside me. At the precinct she had told the cops of her stalker's most recent call. It had taken all her will to not breakdown. But now I had to know what the call was about, if the jerk had spoken something to give away his identity then it would make the work of the cops a bit easier and Car's life safer.

She was still cross with me as I had hustled Brendan up.

"Um Car?" I tested her temper.

She faced me slowly and glowered. "What??" She snapped when I took too long to speak.

"What did he tell?" was all I had to ask, she understood. Her back straightened and her fingers started fidgeting again. Her jaw stiffened, I knew she was not as calm as she sounded when she said "He promised me he would plan better next time."

"Car, I promise there will be no next time." I said as my voice resonated conviction.

She pursed her lips in to a thin line. She looked ahead and was in deep thought. I was surprised when she spoke. "Rick, I really appreciate everything you have done for me. I really do, but please don't involve yourself in this." She paused closed her eyes and took a deep breath, she spoke when she opened them again. "He vandalized your house Rick. And it's all my fault. I know he's gonna call me again and I'm going to set things right. I........"

I cut her off. "Don't even think about it. He's a coward Car. He could have fought me in the ally, instead he ran. I don't think it was him who broke into my apartment. Trust me when I say I have known some crazy women."

"But..." She began and I cut her off again.

"Even you with your taser gun and pepper spray don't rank in the top fifty. Besides I don't mind if you introduce me to others as your boyfriend. You already did twice, what's in it if you do it a few more times." I winked at her.

"Fifty? At the showroom, you introduced yourself Rick." She reminded me.

"Is that so? I think otherwise." I ignored the fifty part and feigned a loss of memory as I ran the fingers of my left had through my hair.

She shook her head and rolled her eyes as a small smile played on her lips.

I parked my car in front of her apartment building. She slid off the seat belt.

As always I was racking my brains for an idea which would get me invited into her apartment and if I get lucky her room.

"Want to come up for a drink?" She asked as she got off my car.

I wanted to raise my hands and scream hurrah!! And do a happy dance. But I managed a bland reply. "I would love some coffee. But I would love a chilled beer even more."

She nodded as we headed to the door.

"Good evening Charlie." Carmen greeted the doorman.

"I wondered where you were last night. I guess I know now." He said smiling mischievously at me. He winked at me with his wrinkled eye.

"Charlie." I greeted.

"Rick." He greeted back.

"Your too nosey for a doorman Charlie." Car said as she blushed.

"Ah! My wife says the same."  Charlie agreed with a smile.

We headed to the elevator. I carried the bag which contained her shoe and torch. She pulled out her keys from her purse and twirled it in her hand.