Chapter Nine - The Village

CHAPTER NINE

The Village

The monsoon rains were lashing Bangalore on the day of Syamala’s appointment with Kamakshi, but, true to her word, Syamala showed up at the hut the following week with Bala and Govinda. Kamakshi was thrilled to see her baby again, as he squealed with delight and reached out his arms for his Mummy.

They drove to the small village, near Hoskote, in silence. Bala was absorbed in the lovely green fields, but Kamakshi, thinking of her past, became more and more nervous as they drove closer to her old home. The roads were not so good in the pouring rain.

“They m-may not take me in, Amma,” she stuttered.

“Don’t worry. We’ll see. You’d better drive around that lake in the middle of the road, Aswin.”

“See, my father is Sarpanch, and he has thrown other unwed mothers out of the village. Not that I’m unwed, but….who will believe me?”

“I believe you.”

“Bala, too,” said the little god-child. “Oh, look, Mummy, ducks!”

“I’m grateful, but Amma, some of the things I’ve done, I’m not proud of.”

“Doesn’t matter. This will be a new life!”

“Maybe,” she said doubtfully.

The Amby slowly drove into the village, past the tea stalls and shops, then past the small huts and white-washed houses, where the after came up over the doorways. They stopped at the largest house in the village. It had a spacious compound shaded by many coconut trees with shaggy mop-heads.

It was raining very hard and Kamakshi was the first to get out, then Bala and last, Syamala carrying Govinda. Huddling together under the big black umbrella, the tight little group moved slowly together through the muddy slush to the farmhouse. Suddenly, a noisy pack of snarling dogs rounded the corner of the house leaping and jumping on the ladies. The door opened and an old man wearing a traditional longee, confronted them.

“Who’s that?” he snarled just like his dogs. “Hey!” he barked at the dogs that slunk down immediately.

“Papa, it’s me, I….”

A woman in a faded house sari came out of the shadows.

“It’s that girl who left. Get away from here girl, before I let the dogs get you sure.”

Syamala carried Govinda past the cringing dogs and up the front path. She had followed by Kamakshi with the big black umbrella.

“Please, Sir, I’m from the hospital in Bangalore. I wish to speak to you about your grandson here.” She showed the man Govinda.

“Hey!” shouted the man to the dogs. “Get these people away from here.”

He waved his hand towards the vicious dogs who leapt up snarling at Bala. They were about the same size as she was, and the most vicious one made a lunge for her face.

Bala stared at the creature and didn’t move a muscle. Slowly the pack of animals began to whine and wag their tails as they backed up and then ran away as fast as they could.

The old man’s mouth dropped open and little Bala walked right up the steps to where he was standing in the doorway.

Clasping her hands together she addressed him. “Nameste Appa, my Mummy was so ver-ry kind to bring little Govinda for you to see. He’s your very own grandson, Appa. You are indeed lucky. Please let my Mummy into your house. Guest is God, isn’t it, Sir?”