Chapter Five - First Birthday

CHAPTER FIVE

First Birthday

During dinner, when Syamala told Trishul her plan to bring the orphan home for a picnic, he was very much in favour of the idea.

"I promised the little tykes an outing, Trishul. They feel badly because Bala lives here with us and they don't, so I thought that we might have a picnic for them in our garden."

"You should have thought of this before, Syamala," he said, "I'm only sorry that I can't be there. I'll do what I can to help, though. Shall we get some playground equipment? I imagine that the tots would like that. In fact, if it goes really well we could make it a regular affair."

"My dear husband, I can always count on you to do the very kindest thing possible."

So he purchase a small-up merry-go-round with little nursery rhyme characters, and a slide made like an elephant with its trunk going down to the ground, and set of swinging swans. The garden looked more like a playground now. The Professor and Ajay moved upstairs to study, which was handier anyway because of the computer. In fact, the Professor seemed really glad to be upstairs.

By now, Ajay was a real pro with the computer. Sometimes, at night, after Trishul turned off the eleven o'clock news, he could hear the 'beep' from Ajay's computer, Sam.

"Why did you name your computer Sam?" asked Granny Dadi.

"Sam is short for Samavati, which means 'he of many abilities,' and Sam can do just about everything but speak."

"And how are you getting along with the Professor?"

"He's become quite hip, you know, since he started seeing that attractive lady. Beside, he's got his own lap top computer in his flat across the alley, which saves a lot of down-loading because we have a link-up."

"What does that mean? Oh well, it's all beyond me. I guess maybe I'm the old codger," she said, laughing at herself.

"I really like him, Granny. He says that I'm the brightest student he's ever worked with and besides; he's such a good sport. Now he brings me a box of chocolates every time he comes."

It was ten o'clock, and time for the children to come from the orphanage. Aswin pulled up in the van and all the tiny tots trooped out carrying their pillows, 'blankies', and stuffed toys for their afternoon nap.

"Amma, Amma, Granny, Bala," they called. "We's heah. Pwaese can we come inside and pway?" And before you knew it, they were racing about in the garden playing on all the new equipment, giggling and having fun.

"Be careful of Granny's begonias," cried Syamala.

By this time, Simba Kitty was about six week old and could almost hold her own with any child. She would let them play with her up to a point, and then she'd get up on her little tip-toes and spit. Granny would then call her to come back to the good old apron pocket and the ball of orange fluff would crawl inside where it was safe; it was like a kangaroo's pouch.

At four months, Bala was like family to the little orphans by now. Syamala, who tended to be a little over protective, didn't have anything to worry about. Bala couldn't walk as yet, but she was just as happy playing alone as with other children. It didn't seem to be alone. She crawled around patting the trees and talking to the bushes. Syamala loved to watch her form the kitchen window as Bala stroked the leaves and blew kisses to the trees.

"No, no, Bala, don't try to kiss the lizard, sweetheart. I don't think he like that."

The next eight months passed uneventfully. Ajay worked busily with the Professor and also with the gym equipment in his room. He spent hours each day trying to strengthen and straighten his atrophied legs so that, someday, he might walk alone. Miss Bala liked to sit at his feet and part his toes and ankles.