Chapter 20: Goodbye

Start from the beginning

"I'll try,"

_

"Ashton!" Anne shouted as soon as the boys walked through the front door making Ashton flinch. "Where were you last night? You didn't even call— what's that on your neck?" Ashton rolled his eyes and let go of Michael's hand before walking straight past Anne and up the stairs to take a shower.

"Ash stayed at my place last night since you weren't home." Michael articulated.

"Oh, okay well thank you for taking care of him. I'm guessing you two...?" Anne suggested, the coloured-haired boy scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Yeah, we did."

"So you're together then?" Michael nodded.

"Um, aren't you... angry? You know, that I took your son's virginity?" Anne shook her head and smiled.

"I know that you love him, of course I'm not angry." Michael felt relieved that she wasn't angry, although he didn't know why. It's not like they needed her approval.

"Can I offer you a coffee or cup of tea?" She offered.

"Coffee?" She nodded and they made their way into the kitchen. After Anne made the coffee, they sat and talked mostly about Ashton and his progress until Ashton got out of the shower which seemed to be taking quite a while. After about half an hour, Michael was beginning to grow worried.

"I'm gonna go and check on him." Michael said and went to stand up, however Anne stopped him.

"Wait, take this." Michael immediately shook his head when Anne pulled out money from her purse and handed it to him.

"I'm really grateful for everything you've done for—" She stopped talking and her eyes widened. Michael looked at her in confusion and followed to where her eyes were looking. And so, he turned around and his heart dropped when seeing Ashton standing there looking completely heart broken.

Ashton's lips quivered and he felt as though his heart was shattering into a million pieces. "Y-you f-fucking piece of shit,"

"No, no, Ash this isn't what it looks like," Michael told him and went to move closer, but Ashton just moved away.

"Get away from me!" Ashton yelled, tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Please, Ashton, I wasn't gonna take the money!" Michael yelled in a pleading tone.

"H-how could you do this to me?" Ashton asked quietly, not even knowing how the day ended up like this.

"I wasn't going to take the money, let's just talk about this, please." Michael begged. He was desperate for Ashton to believe him.

"I actually thought you loved me..." Ashton laughed dryly. "I don't blame you though. I mean, who could?"

"Stop it. I love you more than anything, you know that!"

"No. I don't." Ashton retorted. "I thought I knew, but..." The boy sounded absolutely drained and it terrified Michael.

"Can we just talk about this?"

"I don't wanna talk,"

"Fine, then just listen."

"I don't wanna do that either." Michael knew this was a losing battle, but it didn't make it hurt any less.

"I want you to leave," Ashton suddenly spoke up and what he said hurt Michael. He thought Ashton trusted him.

"I thought you trusted—"