Chapter 16: Temporary Fix

[a/n MY LASHTON HEART. ashton is totally giving luke the fuck me eyes in this gif rip. ] 

It was Friday again and Ashton was glad. However, he was also feeling nervous because Luke was coming over to 'babysit' him while his mother was at work. The feeling of wanting a release hadn't gone away either. It had been weeks since he last cut and he was still literally itching for it. Michael still didn't know what it was about, but only because it had happened once while Ashton was around him. Although, he didn't ask questions about it and Ashton was glad.

Plus, school wasn't doing him any favours. Ashton couldn't stand being there. He couldn't stand that even after he tried to kill himself, they'd still call him the golden boy. He didn't understand why they called him that, if he was allowed to get what he wanted then he'd be dead. People just didn't understand the constant pain he was in. They didn't understand that it's what he wanted. He wanted the nightmare to end.

Calum was currently sat out the front of the school around the corner so that he was out of sight. Images of Ashton lying unconscious in the bathroom flashed through his mind over and over again. He didn't know what was wrong with him, he needed it to stop if he wanted to focus on his soccer. The raven-haired boy sobbed, resting his head in his hands and began to rock back and forth.

"What the fuck is wrong with me?" He asked himself and looked up through teary eyes. He wiped his tears and reached into his bag, pulling out a packet of half empty cigarettes and a lighter. He grabbed one out and put it between his lips, lighting it in the process. He took a puff, taking the smoke from his mouth before exhaling and placing it back between his lips. He knew that this was wrong, but he needed a temporary fix; and if smoking could do that, then so be it.

Suddenly, Calum was cut from his daze when he heard someone say, "Hey, Cal—" Luke stopped and gasped, Calum's head shooting up and he instantly froze when seeing Luke. standing there.

"Where did you get that?" Luke shouted, walking over to him and snatching the cigarette from him before dropping it on the grass and stomping on it to put it out.

"Hey!" Calum shouted back and stood up, standing directly in front of the blonde. "This is none of your business."

"Yes it fucking is! What the hell are you thinking? Do you know what this could do to your heath? You play soccer!" Luke yelled, Calum knowing that he was right and that smoking was a huge risk.

"Luke, if you know what's good for you, you'll walk away right now." Calum warned and he could tell that Luke was absolutely furious.

"Are you kidding me? Stop being a dick and listen!" The blonde screamed. "You love soccer, I know you do, so what are you doing? Why are you doing this to yourself?" Calum couldn't tell him. He wanted to, but he couldn't. He couldn't give Luke more to worry about, he knew he was already stressed about school. And so the boy just looked down, Luke aware that Calum wouldn't tell him anything.

"Calum," Luke sighed. "Please—"

"I'm not talking about this with you anymore." Calum stated bluntly and went back to where he was sitting earlier. Luke had this awful feeling in the pit of his stomach and he knew well what it was, it was the feeling of being shut out; he didn't like the feeling one bit. He thought him and Calum were closer than that and realising that they weren't as close as they once were, hurt Luke to a great extent. Luke just wanted what was best for Calum and the raven-haired boy failed to see that. Basically everything Luke did was for Calum's benefit. Luke only cared about one thing; And that was Calum.

_

It was finally Friday afternoon and the drive to Ashton's house was awkward, considering their conversation last weekend. Luke tried his best to make it seem less awkward, however they were both off and had things on their mind. The curly-haired boy pulled into the driveway, then hopped out and walked up to the front door, Luke following closely behind. He opened the door and they both walked inside, Luke looking around. He'd only been there once when Ashton attempted suicide. He quickly shook the memory from his mind as soon as he thought of it and followed Ashton into the kitchen.

"Oh good you're home! Listen, I have to rush out really quick but I left some money for you guys to order in whatever you want." Anne said and Ashton only nodded.

"Luke, can I talk to you for a minute?" She asked and Luke nodded slowly. He hesitated before following her out of the kitchen and into the hall where Ashton couldn't see them.

"Thank you for doing this," Anne spoke sincerely and handed Luke money.

"Um, that's a lot of money. Are you sure?" Luke stared at the $100 bill and back at Anne.

"Don't worry about it, it's my pleasure. And if you keep this up, there's more where that came from." She whispered, making sure Ashton didn't hear. Luke didn't feel right about taking the money, it seemed wrong on so many levels and it was also wrong for her to bribe Luke.

"You don't have to bribe me, I'll do it because me and Ashton are friends not because you gave me some cash." Luke uttered and handed the money back.

"Well, okay. If you insist. But if you ever need anything from me, don't hesitate to let me know." She told him and Luke raised an eyebrow.

"What would I want from you?" Luke enquired, Anne shrugging her shoulders.

"Oh, I don't know. I'm sure you'll think of something." The blonde watched her as she walked out the door and then rolled his blue eyes.

"Yeah, I highly doubt that." He said quietly and made his way back into the kitchen to see Ashton on his phone.

"You do know I heard everything, right?" Ashton declared. "It's okay, I'm not mad at you. You gave the money back. I'm mad at her, she shouldn't have done that."

"No, it's fine." Luke waved off the subject.

"It's not. She shouldn't have put you in this position."

"Ashton," Luke cautioned. "It's fine. Now stop worrying and help me with my homework."

"Alright, fine." Ashton giggled slightly and Luke grinned because he's never heard Ashton laugh before. It was nice. And so, Ashton helped Luke with his homework and it was strange. Luke never understood it when people explained it to him, he didn't even understand his Mum or Calum. However, Ashton had a way of explaining it so that it made perfect sense to him. Ashton was really smart. It'd be a shame to see his knowledge go to waste.

"Do you understand now?" Ashton asked him.

"Yeah, thanks. No one could make me understand this shit except you." Luke said honestly.

"Really? I'm terrible at explaining things."

"Not to me." Ashton smiled, actually feeling good for once because he helped someone. Luke seemed to forget about the Calum situation for a while, but then he finally remembered and he instantly frowned.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Ashton questioned, noticing his change of mood.

"Um..." Luke started. "It's Calum, there's something going on with him and I don't know what. He won't talk to me." The blonde looked as if he was about to say something else, but he didn't.

"And...?" Ashton coaxed.

Luke sighed and said, "I saw him smoking." Ashton's mouth dropped in shock.

"What? That's crazy!" Ashton shrieked, thinking Calum was smarter than that. "He plays soccer... it'll ruin his heath!"

"That's what I told him, but he completely shut me out." Luke said sadly.

"I know how much you care about Calum; I'll help you help him. Don't worry, okay? We'll fix this."