Day 3: Gaming

(High School AU)

Maverick Jones was different from his brother Alfred in almost every way, but they were the same in the fact that they both really liked video games. Both being teenagers, they spent most of their free time gaming. Matthew also liked to game, but not as excessively as the two Americans.

The brothers'video game favorites were different and similar at the same time. Maverick loved all types of games, especially horror games and games with a story. He also likes to play any random games and apps he finds. Alfred on the other hand, liked horror games even though they always scared the crap out of him. Alfred was the type of person who would play sad games and end up sobbing, and then switching to play hilarious, stupid games and laughing much more than needed.

But if there were a type of game both brothers adored, it was Mario Bros games. Mario Kart was their favorite.

Why am I telling you this?

Well one day, a certain Italian had appeared at their house (again). Romeo always managed to show up when Maverick was home alone(which he was fine with), or when Alfred and/or Matthew made themselves present in the home, making it that much more awkward.

Today it was just Alfred that was home, and, of course, Maverick was too. The two Americans were in the middle of a heated Mario Kart race when the doorbell rang. Neither wanted to get up, and a few seconds later, the bell rang again.

Maverick groaned, paused the game, and ran a hand through his hair while trudging over to the door. He yanked it open, and upon seeing the Italian, slammed it shut.

"That wasn't very nice~!" Romeo called, his voice muffled
because he was outside.

"Who is it?" Alfred yells to his brother.

"Nobody," Maverick turns to walk back and finish the game when the bell rings again.

"Doesn't sound like nobody," Alfred comments, appearing suddenly and leaning on the wall.

"It's definitely nobody," Maverick said, walking away from the door, but stopped in his tracks when Romeo's voice called out loudly again.

"You're sure it's definitely nobody?" Alfred raises an eyebrow.

"Yeah, absolutely sure, now shut the fuck up and let's go back to the game!" Maverick scowls.

"Nah, don't think I can do that, bro. I've gotta let him in, it's the nice thing to do." Alfred smirks.

"Since when have you ever been nice..." Maverick grumbled.

Alfred ignored the comment, moving towards the door. "And besides, I'm pretty sure that's your boyfriend out there, it would be rude not to let him in," the blond said, his smirk growing.

"What? I don't- I'm not- we're not- I HATE YOU!" Maverick stormed from the room right as Alfred opened the door.

"Hey, Romeo! Maverick's just in the living room." Maverick heard his brother say, as the brunette slumped back onto the couch and buried his red face in a pillow. He heard the steps two pairs of feet start walking, and the chatter of his brother and friend became louder as they entered the room.

"Is he sleeping?" Romeo asked.

"Nah, he's just embarrassed," Alfred responded.

"Shut up!" Maverick yelled, his voice muffled from being pressed into the cushions. There were a few moments of silence, and then he felt someone flick him in the back of the head.

"Are you alive?" Romeo asked.

"No," Maverick responded, scowling into the pillow.

"Well... I'm just going to go, Mathias wants to hang out. I'll be back later. Have fun you two!" Alfred said while grinning. The front door opened and shut again as Alfred left.

Maverick didn't react, his face just turned more red and he stayed on the couch. He heard Romeo moving around and felt the Italian get close to his face. The American moved his head over to look at his friend, and shot up when he saw how close Romeo was to him.

"What the fuck! Don't get so close to me!" He yelled, glaring Romeo, who was smiling innocently.

"How else was I supposed to get you up?"

"I dunno? Maybe asking me?" Maverick ran a hand through his hair and plopped back down onto the couch. He saw the TV out of the corner of his eye, remembering the game he and Alfred were in the middle of. "Great," he groaned.

"What's wrong?" Romeo sat down next to the brunette, his head tilted to the side like a puppy would.

"Well Alfred just fucking left, so we can't continue the stupid game we were in the middle of!" Maverick scowled.

"Oh. I'll play with you! What were you playing?" He looks at the TV. "Ooh, Mario Kart? I love that game! I play it with Lovi all the time after work and stuff! I've also played against Peter and Erland, but they're so competitive, I really didn't do anything. And-" He was cut off by Maverick chucking a controller in his direction. The American had gotten up to grab the controllers off the floor, and not caring if it hit anything- or anyone- had tossed one to Romeo.

The Italian covered his face with one hand and managed to catch said controller with the other hand. Maverick turned around and saw Romeo holding the controller and grinning. The American walked back over to the couch and sat down.

"What course do you wanna play?" Maverick asked.

"Rainbow road~!"

"What the fuck, why that one?"

"It's really fun!"

"It's hard as hell."

"Yeah that's what makes it fun~!"

"Whatever, let's just play the stupid game."

"Okay!"

And so, the two friends(?) played Rainbow Road, which ended up with Maverick raging way too much and Romeo winning every time.

When Alfred returned from Mathias's later that evening, he was greeted by the site of his brother and friend curled up on the couch together sleeping, the controllers and video games forgotten.

-

Those last two paragraphs
is what happens when I can't think of any ideas for how to end a one shot