Chapter Seven - Kanyakumari

ابدأ من البداية

“If they have a patent, they’ll be able to share it with all of us, otherwise the multi-nationals will put their patent on the herb and we won’t be able to afford their prices.”

“The government gave five thousand tribal families the job of cultivating the herb. So, now they’ll have work as well.”

“That is good news, Ajay.”

Trishul backed the Amby out of the driveway as they all waved and called out goodbye to Aswin and Adiamma, who would stay home and take care of the house and garden. The Professor was standing at the curb with a young student.

“So long, Professor, see you,” called Ajay, waving.

The family started out. They drove west to Mangalore and then straight down the magnificent coast of Kerala. It was a breathtaking drive and Bala never stopped asking questions.

“What sort of flowers grows up there on those hills, Mummy?”

“Many different species of orchids plants can be found up there, dear, some are not found anywhere else in the entire world. They say that there is a bright red orchid growing up there very high in the mountains.”

“Oh, Mummy, I wish we might go there some day and find it!”

“Maybe, dear, of course we might.”

“How would you like to live in Kerala?” asked Trishul.

“Oh, it’s so beautiful here,” said Syamala. Why do you ask, dear?”

“The government is getting ready to bring to trial some very wealthy landlord for disregarding the Contract Labour Laws.”

“You mean slave labour, Papa?” asked Ajay.

“Right. And I would be appointed Judge of the Kerala High Court. I don’t see how it could take place for at least four years though.”

“Too soon to worry about it,” said Ajay, “I’ll be at University.”

“What University, Ajay?”

“Haven’t decided yet. Perhaps Mysore. According to Asia Week, it’s the best university in Asia.

“Oh don’t ever go way, Jay, Jay, please promise. Everyone would be sooo sad. You just have to stay home so Bala can fix you legs.”

Bala patted Ajay’s feet and legs whenever there was an opportunity.

Ajay tugged on Bala’s braids. “But I can’t promise, Princess, because Jay Jay has to go to school. Someday Bala will go to school too, you know?”

“I wish that we could go trekking up in the hills,” said Syamala.

“So do I,” said Ajay gloomily.

“You’re getting there, honey,” murmured his mother, patting his knee, “I can see a big difference since you started working out.”

“I’ll bet you could excel at water sports even now,” said Trishul. “You could probably row rings around all of us.”

“Me, too, Papa, Bala row,” Bala. “What’s row, Papa?”

“She doesn’t know what it is, but she’s sure that she can do it! That’s my Bala! Honey, you are my precious baby, and when we get there, we’ll show you how people row across the water, okay?”

“Okay.”

“When we return, Ajay, I want you to enroll in the computer school and say farewell to Professor Om Prakash,” said Trishul.

“Well, I can’t be completely rude, can I?”

“I don’t see why not. We have to be very strong and simply stay away from bad people, right, Bala?”