-24

:six weeks later:

Josh's POV

"Inmates of shift two and four- time to wake up." The regular announcement rang through the halls, causing my eyes to flutter open.

I sigh, pulling my aching body off the bed, hissing as the cramps in my body grow tighter. I purse my lips, before walking my crippled body towards the metallic bars.

Ethan walks down the hallway, dragging the chain behind him. Today was the second time we were on the same shift- Simon and I. Alot of the time we worked together on everything, sharing small touches in between hammering nails.

"Good morning Ethan." I mumble, causing him to look up from his gaze towards the floor.

His eyes were glassy and red, making me gasp.

"What's happened?" I gasp, and he shakes his head as he unlocks my cell.

"Bronwyn wants me to be her boyfriend but I told her it isn't going to work." He mutters, dropping the lock to the ground and sliding the door open.

"Why won't it work?" I squeak as he cuffs my bruised wrists.

"Because, Josh. I'm not ready to be a dad, and it's illegal for me to date a patient, just like it was illegal for you to date or have relations with Simon." He hisses beneath his breath.

"You guys got close enough that you were considering dating?" I gape.

This was all new information for me. I had no idea Ethan was even talking to her like this.

"Josh, we have had discussions at two am to four am for the last three weeks. Ever since we found out she was pregnant, I... I think I'v fallen in love with her." His voice cracks, and I quiet him.

"Ethan, it's okay to be in love with her. You just have to sacrifice certain things to be with her, and if that's your job, then you should be willing to risk it for her. That's what I did with Simon." I explain, and he snorts.

"Now look where you ended up." He scoffs, and I clench my jaw.

"I made a sacrifice for our happiness. If you weren't such a coward, maybe you would too." I seethe, and I watch his face fall.

I swallow the guilt. He needed to know.

I watch as he unlocks the rest of the cells, unlocking Simon's last, making him end up at the end of the chain.

"Morning Josh." He murmurs as he walks past me, causing my heart to sink.

"G'morning Si." I respond quietly, before Ethan ushers us towards the entrance, the chain clambering along the ground.

There were small groans and grunts of disapproval as the icy winter air nipped at our skin. We walked towards the structure, seeing the frame of the main building nearly completed.

My teeth began to chatter, feeling my whole body tremble as the snow slowly fell, creating a carpet of icy softness. I look towards Simon, who was looking towards someone else- Bronwyn.

"Patients- today, we are building the frame for the gym. I expect the whole frame to be done by dusk. Let's get going, materials are in the same place." The warden claps from the base of the building, bundled up in multiple blankets.

Ethan unchains me, before he moves along. I wait for Star, once he was unchained, I walk towards the utilities station, his small body quivering next to me.

"I'm worried about Bronwyn." He mumbles, and I nod.

"Me too." I agree softly, turning over my shoulder, seeing the rest of the group walk towards us.