-23

Josh's POV

It felt as if time was frozen.

Here we are, in a crowded cafeteria full of ordinary people, finding love in a place where love was completely hopeless.

I stared into the glassy-eyed boys oceanic blue orbs, finding myself caught up in the riptides washing over them.

It took all the will power I had to not scream out how much he meant to me.

"I didn't want to fall in love with you either, Simon. Not here, maybe somewhere else in an alternate universe." I murmur, reaching my hand out to wipe his tears away.

"I'm sorry we are in this situation." He whispers, and I shake my head, a small smile on my face.

"I'm happy I'm in love with you, you have my back, and I have yours. Yeah, it's unfortunate we are stuck in here, but it's not your fault, or mine. It's fates." I explain, and he purses his lips.

"I deserve every punishment you have gotten since you've been in here. I feel guilty for loving you." He admits sheepishly, sniffling.

"Simon. I am okay. This is okay. I wouldn't want this to happen to you, I wouldn't allow it. It's okay. Don't feel guilty for loving me, it's okay Simon." I whisper, and he looks towards the table.

"I love you Simon, I really do." I grab his hand firmly, causing him to look up from the table, his eyes still glassy.

"I love you more."

//

"Inmates, listen up!" I hear Ethan shout, causing Simon's eyebrows to furrow.

We both stand, my hands gripping the cold bars. I looked down the hall, watching as Callum and Josh make their presence known behind the warden. I roll my eyes discreetly.

What now.

"There has been a change in the schedules." Callum speaks, and they begin their slow walk down the hallway.

"Instead of library two times a week, it will be three times a week." Josh exclaims, causing my eyebrows to peak up.

"On the off days, there will be arts and crafts sessions." Callum says.

They walk past my cell, the warden's face painted with a small smirk, a barely audible snicker passing her lips. I scoff.

"We are incorporating full meals, no longer crappy canned food. You will need it for the next part of this." Josh teases, and I feel my heart sink in my chest.

"Sunday's are dedicated to religion. No food that day, only water. You will be sat in the church, dedicating the whole day to praising our Lord and Savior in hope it will extract the demon from your bodies." Mrs. Johnson speaks.

"There's a church here?" Someone farther down the hall asks, and she shakes her head, laughing lightly.

"Be patient, I'm getting to that." She seethes, attempting to be playful, but its impossible for her.

"Each inmate in this cell blocks will have a day dedicated to building this church. We got the building plan made. This needs to be done by Easter, which is twenty weeks away." Callum commands, and I sigh.

"Josh, show them the plan." The warden hands Josh a scroll, which he unravels and shows us.

As he passes me, I feel myself grow weary. That is a big fucking church. There is no way that is being built in twenty weeks.

It had high ceilings, fifty pews, stained glass, multiple rooms and a structure that looked like a gym next to it. I shook my head.

"Now.. Everyone will have a shift. If you are unable to work, there will be a punishment. That punishment could be minor- no food for three days- or it could be major- isolation, electric chair, no food and whipping." The warden hisses, causing a few gasps to float through the hallway.