-16

I swallow heavily, pursing my lips as they come to a stop in front of our cell.

"Mm, these two hey? Who would've thought this place would have two queers in here." Mrs. Johnson cackles, Callum chuckling along with her.

"I know, I'm pretty sure this one just forced himself onto Minter. He's kind of a slut in that way." Callum pitches in, causing Mrs. Johnson to laugh.

"You're probably right. Tomorrow, we punish him, got it?" She mutters in a hushed tone, and I feel a tear drop from my eye.

"Why not now?" Callum wonders.

"He's asleep, we can't do that." She scoffs, and I hear him whimper.

"But then his little boyfriend won't be able to see." He mock pouts, and she hits him lightly.

"Mm, good point." She brushes it off, before I hear her heels click down the hallway.

I feel a sob choke my throat, tears falling from my eyes and staining the covers beneath me.

Finally, the front doors slam shut, and I allow the sob to break past my lips. They continue to rack my lungs, slowly depriving me of more and more oxygen.

"Josh.. Josh listen to me." Simon murmurs lowly from his cell, but I continue to cry, his voice giving me no comfort.

"I won't let them hurt you, I won't." He promises, but I shake my head.

"I-I won't l-let them hurt y-you." I sob, and I hear him sigh.

"Go to sleep baby, I'll be right here." He coos softly, and I sniffle, another sob floating in the air.

I close my eyes, tears squeezing out of my eyes as I fall into a trembling slumber.

//

"Josh." A familiar voice shakes me from my slumber, sitting up with a heavy gasp.

Sweat lines my forehead, along with an outline of my body on the sheets. My heart races, breaths staggered in an informal fashion, depriving me of a full air supply.

"Woah woah, it's just me." Tobi sighs, and I feel a sob choke me immediately.

"T-Tobi last night th-they said.. And-and today I can't l-leave the c-cell I j-just-"

"Josh, deep breaths, come here, take deep breaths love." He beckons me towards the cell doors.

I stand somewhat firmly on my shaky legs, threatening to give out. I shuffle my way closer, Tobi quickly unlocking the cell doors and pushing it open.

He pulls me into an embrace, and I already feel my heart ache. It's so weird hugging him so often, but now we barely see each other as much as before.

"Let's go to Jide, okay?" He murmurs into my ear, and I nod.

He cuffs me with a sympathetic look, but I just brush it off, telling him that's how it had to be.

I ignore Simon's longing look, not wanting to fall into another trap of uncontainable emotions. We continue down the chilly corridor, the hair on the back of my neck standing up from the quiet eeriness.

We approach JJ's office, Tobi knocking lightly. He murmurs a 'come in,' so we do. When he looks up, his face immediately falls.

"Oh Joshua.." He whispers, moving his clipboard aside.

I nod, pursing my lips, falling onto the chair with a heavy sigh. He looks towards Tobi, an unreadable expression masking their faces, before Tobi sits next to me.

"Something has happened, last night I believe. When I woke him to do his check up, he was jumpy and sweating and not able to develop proper sentences." Tobi explains as I stare at my sock-covered feet.