Chapter 49

Everyone raced through the house, trying to prepare for the trip to the hospital.

   "Where are the keys!?" Diane yelled as she ran past.

   "Why don't you check in that giant purse of yours?" Harold called.

   I leaned over the back of the couch with my face buried in my arms. Damon stood next to me and tapped his foot uncontrollably.

   Earlier, they had politely asked everyone to leave and promised to reschedule for another day. Though many people complained, mainly the kids, everyone gathered their things and left.

   "They're taking forever." Damon moaned."Can we just go already?"

   "Just a bit longer." I sighed."I'm sure they're almost ready."

   I clenched my fists and heaved a long sigh. My contractions were pretty far apart, but the pressure that was building on my pelvis was very uncomfortable.

   Damon grabbed me by the arms and gently pulled me up."We're leaving."

   "But they..."I started to say.

   "But nothing. I'm not going to sit here and wait anymore. You need to get to the hospital and you need to get there fast." He said calmly.

   I let Damon pull me towards the door without another word. There was no use in protesting anymore because he was probably right. They might take another 30 minutes before they were ready.

   "We're about to leave." He called over his shoulder as he opened the door.

   "We're almost ready." Diane said as she rushed by.

   "We can't wait anymore." Damon sighed.

   "Ok ok, hurry along then. Call us when you get there." She said.

   Damon only nodded his head as he ushered me out of the door.

    I gripped Damon's hand as he sped down the road towards the hospital.

   "You ok?" He asked in a shaky voice.

   I nodded my head and sighed."Yeah, I'm fine."

   My eyes widened as a familiar pain started to creep into my abdomen. This one was stronger than last time and made me gasp in pain.

   I clenched my jaw and closed my eyes. It felt like the mother of all cramps was fighting it's way through my insides.

   "God, why do you live so far away from the hospital?" I cried.

   "I only live like an hour away." Damon said.

   "How far away are we now?" I said through gritted teeth.

   "We're almost there babe. Only about 20 more minutes." He said as he gave my hand a squeeze.

   "Only 20? You're saying it like that's nothing... I'm gonna die. Oh God, I'm going to die!" I moaned as the contraction finally passed.

   "You're not going to die." Damon laughed.

   "I am." I cried."and this is only the beginning of it."

   "You're right this is the beginning, but we'll get through it." He said.

   I closed my eyes and leaned against the window. "I don't trust you."

   Damon started to laugh."And why is that?"

   "We'll get to the hospital fast and in a jiffy, heidy ho onward we go!" I said mocking Damon's voice.