Chapter 51

"What is this?" Damon asked.

   "What are you even talking about?" I sighed.

   "What's going on?" He snapped.

   I rubbed my hand down my cheek."Nothing is going on Damon."

   "I heard you Sam." He growled." I heard you say that you love him. That you love him so much it hurts... What are you trying to pull?"

   "Damon will you calm down?" I whispered quietly.

  Damon clenched his fists."Calm down?! I walked out of the room for 5 minutes and you were already about to leave me!"

   "What the hell are you talking about?" I snapped." I wasn't leaving anybody!"

   "I heard you talking Sam!" He yelled.

   "I told him that I love him Damon. Is that so bad? I love a lot of people, but that doesn't mean that I want to be with them!"

   "You were with him before, what's stopping you from leaving me for him now? Huh?!" He hissed.

   I closed my eyes and sighed as Cade started to whimper in my arms.

   "Please get out." I whispered.

   Damon looked at me in confusion."What?"

   "I just want everyone to leave." I said calmly.

   "No." He sighed."I'm not leaving."

   "Get out!" I snapped.

   Damon hesitated before he turned towards the door and stormed out of the room.

   Jason looked at me with a frightened look in his eyes.

   "Just put Cara in the crib and go Jason." I whispered."I'm not upset with you, I just need to be alone right now."

   "O..ok." He whispered as he gently rested Cara into the crib.

   Jason walked to the door and grabbed the handle."I'm..I'm sorry if that wa..was my fault."

   "It wasn't your fault." I said.

   Just as he left, I gave him a reassuring smile to ease his worries.

   I put Cade into the crib next to Cara's and stretched across the hospital bed.

   Why was Damon acting like this? I've never seen him this upset before. I only told Jason that I loved him. Was that so bad?

   I buried my face in my pillow and sighed. Why was today turning out like this?

   Since the nurses had taken the twins down to the nursery, I was left alone in the room. Everyone had gone home for the night, so the only thing entertaining me was the tv.

   I flipped through the channels and hummed quietly. Being alone actually wasn't that bad.

   I propped myself up on a pillow just as someone softly knocked on the door.

   "Come on in and join the party." I called to the person.

   The door slowly opened and Damon walked in.

   "Hi." He whispered as he closed the door.

   I looked up at him and smiled."Hey.. I thought that you left."

   He sat next to me on the bed and sighed." I couldn't leave without talking to you Sam."

   "If this is about earlier, it's fine Damon. I'm not upset with you. You just misunderstood what was happening and overreacted." I said with a shrug.

   "Actually," Damon sighed."That's not what I was going to say."

   "Then what?" I asked.

   "I can't do this Sam." He whispered.

   I stopped flipping through the channels and looked at him."You can't do this? What do you mean you can't do this?"

   He looked me in the eyes."I can't do us Sam. I know you're still in love with Jason and I just can't do it. I can't stay with you knowing you love someone else. It's not fair to either of us Sam. I'm not going to deprive you of something you deserve. I'd never do that. Not to you."

   Tears ran down my cheeks as I processed what Damon was saying.

   "But I love you Damon." I cried." I'm sorry that I told him I loved him. I didn't know this would happen. I swear I wouldn't have said it Damon. I didn't mean to hurt you. I'm so sorry."

   Damon wiped away my tears with his thumbs."Don't apologize Sam, it's not your fault. I knew that you loved him, but I still tried to be with you... and I know you love me Sam. Trust me, I know that. It's just that you only love me. You can love anyone, but you can only be in love with one person... and that person is Jason. You love me, but you're in love with Jason and you always will be. We both know this Sam. You deserve to be happy...and don't say that I make you happy because I know that you could be happier. I never saw you without a smile on your face when you were with Jason. You need each other."

   I started to cry even harder as Damon's hands started to tremble and he started to cry too."God Sam you don't know how bad I want it to work out between us, but I know that it's not." He forced a smile."You two were made for each other Sam. You guys are perfect for each other... you've been through so much together."

   I just stared at Damon. I know that I didn't want to hear what he was saying, but he was probably right. I don't think I'd ever be over Jason. I couldn't.

   "Damn it Damon, why are you right?" I cried. "Why do you have to be right?"

   Damon, though still crying, started to laugh." Because I'm Damon, I'm always right babe."

   I threw my arms around Damon's neck and buried my face in his shoulder. "I love you Damon."

   "I love you too Sam." He whispered."Even if we're not together, I'll always love you."