Endgame

This was it.

I stood on top of the Chrysler Building, covered in blood, some of it being mine, and some of it not. It had just gone midnight but the streets of New York below were still bustling and the distant sounds of car horns and exhausts could be heard. I was stood on the viewing platform of the building, there were no people up here at this time, the only people there were me and him. I looked up from where I had been crouched down behind cover; I scanned the area before seeing a bullet ricochet off of the metal air conditioning unit which was what I had been using as cover. Sparks flew everywhere.

I collapsed back down again, out of sight. Damn! I must have not killed all of his bodyguards. I looked at the silver M1911 pistol I held in my hand, it was filthy, covered in blood, dirt and countless scratches. I checked how many bullets I had left in my final magazine; there were only six bullets left, I better make them count. The firing of guns had stopped and I knew this was my only chance to get the bodyguards, I leaped up from my cover, the final bodyguard was out in the open, desperately trying to reload his assault rifle, sweat dripped off of his bald forehead and there was panic in his eyes.

I didn't even hesitate and fired my gun before moments later the bullet piercing his forehead and exploding out of the other side, blood spurted out and the man's body collapsed like a pile of bricks.
"Where are you?" I screamed, fury being the only thing driving me carry on in this world. "Come out you coward!" I saw movement to my right and dashed towards it, oblivious to everything else, desperate to end this.

I turned the corner of the viewing platform and before I could react, I was hit on the back of the neck with a metal bar and collapsed to the ground. I slowly and painfully turned around and there he was, scrambling for the gun that I had dropped after being struck. I lunged for it as well but was still hazy from the blow to the head and couldn't see straight. He picked up the pistol and turned to me.
"You have no idea how much trouble you've caused! You've ruined me! You've ruined New York City!" He said, having to yell over the tenacious wind. I looked at the gun, pointed directly at me, no not like this.

I took a deep breath before jumping towards him in a flash and grabbing the gun. He fired but I then knocked it from his grasp before he could fire again. The pistol flew off of the edge of the tower, down towards the streets below. I only just realised how close we were to the edge, the gunshot had shattered the glass barriers and there was nothing preventing me from falling to my death.

I tackled him to the ground, both of us falling off our feet and we struggled around on the ground. Eventually we were both out of breath and we got back on our feet. But he was first to his feet and sprinted towards me, in a split second I grabbed him and spun him 180 degrees so he was at the edge of the ledge of the building.

Still holding onto him I let go and with one final effort I pushed him, he took two steps back, I hadn't managed to push him over off of the ledge, he took one more step back to find his footing but he had run out of ground and his foot slipped before his whole body toppled over. I watched him fall, he screamed as he fell. It was over, it was finally over.

I looked down at myself and realised I was bleeding, the bullet that he fired must have hit me, it didn't matter though, it was weird, for the first time in a long time I felt calm, I felt free.

I walked to the edge of the tower, looking down at New York City; it was so beautiful at night. I then looked up towards the sky. And with that I closed my eyes.