Call To Arms

We eventually arrived back at my apartment after running through busy plaza's and streets and constantly looking behind our back for anyone looking suspicious. Literally anyone of these people could be working for Dylan and out to get us. We almost collapsed to the floor when we finally got back home. Vinnie seemed to want to stay with me and my grandparents while we were dealing with this 'situation', but I didn't complain, it was nice to have him around.

My grandparents were still up, curious and worried about how we got on. We told them what happened and that the police were corrupt as well. My grandma looked shocked and fearful but my grandad didn't seem surprised and I could tell he was a little bit smug; after all, he was right about the police.

I told my grandparents that they shouldn't worry about it and I would sort it out. My grandma went to bed but my grandad wanted to talk with us. He gestured for us to take a seat, so we did.

"If you're going to go out there again you're going to need some protection. Who knows who works for this Robert Dylan, and if they come after you two, you're going to need to be able to defend yourself." He spoke seriously, frowning while speaking to us. I thought I understood what he meant but was shocked by him actually saying it.

"You mean a ...weapon?" I asked.

"Yes. When I was taking walk around the Brooklyn a couple of weeks ago I noticed an unlicensed gun shop near Crown Heights. I suggest you get one for yourselves. Both of you." I became scared, was it really that bad that we needed guns to protect ourselves? Deep down I knew the answer was yes. After our serious discussion we all went to bed. I put the briefcase containing all the incriminating evidence under my bed. I needed to find a better hiding spot for it somewhere.

The next day I woke up, it was Saturday, our day off. But it wasn't like we were going to be able to have much fun. It was still very early and everyone else was asleep. I looked under my bed to make sure the case was still there. It was. I walked into the kitchen to make myself some breakfast.

"This is one messed up situation isn't it?" It was Vinnie.

"Yeah, I'm scared to go outside. But my grandad's right, we need to get some weapons."

"Yeah I know. Still feels weird though doesn't it?"

I chuckled. "Yeah it's like a nightmare that I just can't wake up from."

We quickly had our breakfast and then left the apartment before our grandparents were up. I knew my grandma would forbid me from leaving the apartment. I grabbed the briefcase before we left; the first thing we had to do was to hide the case somewhere no one would find it.

We found to an abandoned warehouse a few streets from our apartment and I hid it under a tile on the floor in the corner of the warehouse. It was too dangerous to carry the case around with us and I didn't trust leaving it in the apartment. Especially after Robert Dylan somehow managed to find out my phone number.

After we hid the case Vinnie and I went to the place where my grandad said he saw the unlicensed gun shop. We found it easy enough and when we entered the shop we were greeted by a shady looking guy with arms full of tattoos and a scraggy looking beard.

"You lookin' for a weapon?" He asked

"Yeah, I need two handguns and about 30 bullets. Can you... can you hook me up?" My voice quivered a bit, all of this was getting out of control. The man squinted at us for a moment, like he was trying to see inside our heads before he nodded.

"Sure can." He turned around and opened a locker; he retrieved two M1911 guns and laid them out on the counter surface. He then reached under the counter. He came back with a box of bullets where he started counting them and loading them into the guns. He loaded the guns until they were both fully loaded with 15 bullets in each gun.

"That'll be 300 dollars." He said. I reluctantly handed over the money; it seemed like such a waste. But I knew it was necessary. We left the shop, we now had our weapons.

"You know how to use one of them things?" Vinnie asked.

"Yes I had some training back in Poland. You?"

"Yeah, my dad taught me when I was ten, hell of a long time ago though."

"Yeah well we can practice later; we need to go to Olivia's house to see if she's alright." I said to Vinnie, hoping he wouldn't object to remaining on the streets.

"Lead the way" he said, I was a little shocked by his compliance and loyalty but I appreciated it and we both knew that we were in this together and had to be by each other's side through it all.

We took the bus to Manhattan and eventually to Olivia's apartment. I was worried for her safety and scared that someone might be after her. I rang the bell to her apartment and waited. I was just about to start panicking when she answered the door and invited us in. I introduced her to Vinnie before telling her of the recent events involving the corrupt police. She looked concerned.

"Don't worry Olivia, as far as I know they don't know anything about you." I tried to reassure her.

"It's not me I'm worried about it's you. Just lay low and don't do anything stupid." She said before coming closer to me. I held her in my arms before kissing her, it was a bit embarrassing with Vinnie standing there but at this point I couldn't care less. Kissing her made me so happy yet at the same time sad as I came to the realisation that I wouldn't be able to live without her. I actually had something to live for and I really didn't want to die.