On The Run

We didn't bother waiting to scout the area for any gunmen or any of Dylan's thugs who might have wanted to stop us; instead we just sprinted as fast as we could through the reception lobby area and straight out of the front entrance. I stopped to a halt and so did Vinnie, we both scanned our surroundings wondering where the best place was to lose our pursuers. I looked behind me and to my dread I saw the two gunmen, I tapped Vinnie alerting him of them. It only took a moment before they noticed us.

We instantly ran along the street, pushing past people who were casually walking. We had to make as much distance as possible between ourselves and our pursuers. We turned a corner and noticed a huge crowd of people in a plaza area on the other side of the road. They seemed to be protesters or something. We ran across the road and I was almost hit by a taxi but managed to make it to the other side, we both dived into the crowd in a hope to blend in.

I looked through the crowd of people to the other side of the road that we had just crossed and spotted the two gunmen again. They must have hidden their weapons so they didn't cause panic. The gunmen had stopped running and were looking around, confused and angry that they had lost us. However my heart suddenly sunk when one of them pointed to the crowd. They must have spotted us. I grabbed Vinnie and we were on the run again. We ran through the plaza and onto another busy street.

"Over that fence" Vinnie wheezed through his heavy breaths. We started running for the fence, it was high though and we would have to climb it. We reached the fence and I gave Vinnie a boost over the fence. I then started to climb the fence myself, my hands were secured on the top of the fence and I was pushing up with my arms using all the strength I had. I managed to get one leg over and collapsed to the other side of the fence. Vinnie helped me up and we ran further into the back alley before crouching behind a dumpster to regain our breath.

"Do you think he saw us climb over the fence?" I asked

"I don't know. I don't think so"

We waited there for five minutes, crouched behind a disgusting smelling dumpster, our hearts racing and adrenaline pulsing through our blood, both of us were absolutely terrified. Eventually we decided that we should make a run for it. They'd have probably given up searching by now, or maybe they were just waiting until we came out. Either way we had to get out of here. I signalled to Vinnie to start moving and we both stealthily ran through the alleyway and back onto the street. I wasn't taking any chances and hailed a taxi to take both of us to Brooklyn.

"You can stay at my house tonight if you want." I said to Vinnie.

"Thanks bro, I appreciate it." Vinnie looked horrified, if I thought I was scared, Vinnie looked a hundred times worse, I could tell he was about to lose it. I told the taxi driver where to go and we could relax, at least for now. I had no idea how serious these people were and didn't know the limits to what they'll do to find us and kill us.

Eventually we arrived at my apartment, it was already starting to get dark, we had nearly finished washing that skyscraper and it was near the end of the day anyway. I invited Vinnie in and introduced him to my grandparents, I didn't tell them about being hunted down or that we were nearly killed as I didn't want to worry them, I just told them Vinnie was staying over because his apartment's water pipes were being repaired.

I made us all dinner and as it became later I started to let my guard down, maybe they'd given up trying to hunt us. I mean, we didn't really see anything. Then I remembered the briefcase. I hadn't let go of it while we were being chased and kept it with me to our apartment. I looked over to the door where I had placed it, not really realizing what it was. I still didn't know what was inside. I started to wonder what was inside the briefcase when the telephone rang.

I automatically answered it without thinking anything of it.

"Hello Tobiasz" A voice said, with a smug yet sinister tone.

"Who is this?" I asked, instantly feeling on edge. My stomach felt like it had collapsed in on itself and my hands started shaking. I looked at Vinnie who was curiously watching me, probably wondering who I was talking to. I waved at him to tell him to come over.

"Oh you don't remember me?" The voice said, with irritation and pure rage in his voice. "We ran into each other earlier today. Robert Dylan. Remember?" I started to panic but tried to remain calm when I next spoke; I had to give the illusion that I wasn't scared and was in control of the situation. Panic got the better of me though.

"How do know my name? How did you get this number? What do you want?" I spoke quietly and softly, mainly not to alarm my grandparents who were only on the other side of the room. He just ignored my questions.

"You have something of mine. And I want it back" I looked over at the silver briefcase; I was desperate to see what was inside. I remained silent; I didn't know what to do. Should I give him the briefcase? Should I give it to the police? Should I destroy it? I needed to know what's inside first though. Robert Dylan spoke again.

"Return what was stolen from me. Or I will kill you and everyone who is connected to you." And with that he hung up.