eleven

Daniel's POV (*breathes* daddy...)

My hands grip onto the steering wheel tightly, my knuckles turning white from the pressure. It seems as though I'm much more nervous for Joey meeting my family than he is, which is funny. Joey is constantly worried about what people think of him. He doesn't believe he's worth it, and even though he's never said it straight to my face, he hates himself.

"Calm down, Danny. It'll be fine. You're worrying too much. I'll behave, I promise." he chuckles, placing his hand on my thigh and squeezing lightly. I smile nervously, making brief eye contact with him before putting my focus back on the road.

"I know. It's not that. It's just...last person to meet them was Christian, and they didn't approve. I probably should've listened, considering how it all ended up, but I just can't handle it if they don't like you. I love you, Joey. More than anything else. But their opinion matters so much to me, I just–" I begin rambling, Joey hushing me.

"They'll love me. What's not to love?" he says smugly, a cocky smirk playing on his lips. I grin, shrugging.

The conversation ends after that, the drive still ahead already wearing me out. We sit in a comfortable silence, Joey keeping his grip on my thigh. The only sound in the vehicle is the faint noise from the radio, barely even loud enough to be heard.

The feeling of Joey's firm grip grows weaker and I look over, seeing his eyes closed and lips slowly parted. I smile, turning back to face the road.

I love him, but something still doesn't feel right.

•••

"We're here, sleepyhead!" I announce, awakening Joey from his slumber. His eyes open sleepily, running his fingers through his hair.

Suddenly, he looks in the car mirror, fixing his hair and inspecting his face.

"Do I look okay?" he asks frantically. I guess the anxiety caught up with him.

"Absolutely perfect." I mumble, leaning in and pecking his lips softly. He smiles into the kiss, lips detaching and our foreheads resting together for a brief moment.

We step out of the car, me holding the birthday cake in one hand, and my other hand joining his. I unlock our hands to knock on the door lightly, rubbing Joey's hand soothingly immediately after and grabbing his hand again. My mom answers almost immediately, attacking me in a hug.

"Joey! Why, you're such a handsome boy." my mother compliments and leans in for a hug, him accepting and wrapping his free arm around her gently.

"It's nice to meet you." Joey says sweetly, his signature smile covering his face.

"Same to you." my mom replies and we walk inside.

"Danny!" I hear three voices yell, my three sisters running towards me and attacking me in a hug. Joey's hand has detached from mine and the cake is taken into the kitchen.

As the embrace ends, I introduce my sisters to Joey.

"Jess, Erica, and Lilly, this is Joey. Joey, this is Jess, Erica, and Lilly. My lovely sisters." I finish, smiling as I look at them.

The three of them begin to eye him up, Lilly (oldest) looks at him suspiciously before smiling, walking towards him and placing her hand on his arm.

"You hurt him, you're dead. Got it?" she whispers, just loud enough for me to hear. Joey nods, a slight smirk on his face. If only she knew...

"Don't worry, hun. I'll treat your brother like royalty." Joey reciprocates, wrapping his arm around my torso.

A quiet 'aww' sounds from Jess and Erica and I blush slightly.

The rest of the day was filled with cake, visiting, and overall enjoyment. My mom and sisters seem to adore Joey, which makes me extremely happy. Their opinion means so much to me, I hoped they'd approve.

It was time for bed. Joey and I headed to the spare bedroom, collapsing onto the cushiony bed.

"What a day," Joey breathes out, turning to face me.

I smile, kissing his lips deeply before pulling away.

"I love you." I whisper.

"I love you too." he whispers back, turning off the lamp and holding onto me tightly.

(a/n: well damn. tHE FORESHADOWING IN THIS CHAPTER THOUGH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) )