Chapter 58: Red Plaid Scarf

Start from the beginning

"I don't know where to start," Liam started as his chocolate brown eyes scanned the entire dinner table.

"Why don't you start with that," I pointed the baked beef casserole. Just the thought of the creaminess of the food touching my tongue was one hell of a feeling that I want to do as in right now.

"Be careful not to choke to death," Zayn scoffed, glaring at me. I took it as a sign as to play along with his stunt because everybody knew that we're still on that phase. I projected that I was severely hurt by his remark.

Both Harry and Louis slowly turned their heads sideway, glaring at Zayn, who was playing with the silverwares on his plate.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Louis spat.

"We both all knew that Niall had no control when it comes to food," Zayn mocked. For the first time, I couldn't help but to take it personally. I can't help the feeling that these flaws of mine would be the cause of a disaster later on.

"Zayn!" Liam spoke harshly. The anger in his chocolate brown eyes were quite visible, ready to pounce Zayn any second.

I pushed the chair that I was sitting on in backward motion and fled the scene but I heard Liam calling out my name but I decided to ignore it.

"Apologize to him right now," Harry threatened, swinging the big chef knife in his hand. Zayn swallowed real hard if he knew what's good for him.

Liam stood up immediately from his seat, ready to chase down Niall but Louis stopped him.

"What the hell," Liam whined.

"Zayn will do it."

* * * * *

Zayn's POV

I felt like a complete ass as soon as Niall fled the scene. It was literally breaking my heart in two to say those horrific words at him. I love Niall with all my heart but this thing with pretending was driving me nuts, literally.

I walked out in the backyard and my heart broke in two when I heard sniffing sound, assuming it was coming from my boyfriend.

"Hey," I called out to him. He slowly turned around to see watery blue eyes looking directly at me.

Damn it!

"I'm sorry, okay," I mumbled, sounded like I was forced to do it. "Niall, let's stop this. It's hurting you and it's hurting me."

"No," he shook his head, completely disagreeing with me. "We've worked so hard for the past few weeks and I can't let it go to waste."

"Niall, I feel like I'm the worst boyfriend," I mumbled, hanging my head low. "I shouldn't be saying those words to you." I kicked the small dried leaf on the ground, avoiding his gaze. I felt bad enough that I can't look him in the eye directly.

"It's fine, really."

"No, it's not!" I accidentally raised my voice than usual, making Niall startled from where he was standing. My heartbeat sped up as soon as I realized what I had done. "Sorry," I apologized instantly.

"Zayn, look at me," Niall mumbled but when I didn't listen to him, he cupped my cheeks, readjusting so I would look at him in the eye. "I should be the one apologizing to you on making you do things that you don't wanna do. I am the worst boyfriend here."

I bit my lip as I looked intently in those blue eyes that always put me in a trance. Although, he has a point there on making me things that I don't want to do, I really don't mind as long as he's happy with me. Clearly, logic doesn't make sense when you're in love deeply with someone.