Part 38- Jealousy

Shannon ended up staying the night, much to my absolute joy.

The four of us worked together to make dinner, because there couldn't be any deliveries thanks to the storm. Due to Dan and Shannon having not eaten anything before they'd had their 'small' drinks of wine, they were both now slightly drunk. Shannon turned her iPod on, letting the sounds of Muse play through the kitchen. She maximised the volume, much to Phil and I's worry that we'd anger the neighbours, and she and Dan swayed around the kitchen to the songs. I had to admit that I was enjoying the music as well, because it was Muse, but seeing the two of them dancing together whilst Phil and I cooked made me feel jealous. It also made me think that maybe Shannon and Dan had more in common than I thought; that maybe he had had his reasons to go out with her once.

Phil and I mixed the pasta a beef bolognaise mix together to make a lazy lasagne/pasta bake. I scowled into the pan as Phil and I worked together, watching as the mixture blended together. The lights overhead cast Dan and Shannon's shadows over us, making the lighting flicker over the work surface. I asked Phil if he wanted the cheese leaving of a portion of the dish for him, but he told me that it was only cheese and crackers, and large quantities of cheese he disliked, he was fine with just having a layer of cheese over a pasta bake.

"Oh my god, Dan!" Shannon giggled, "You can't cook at all!" Dan wasn't even cooking, but he laughed and continued to dance with her, causing my temper to steam under my skin.

"Could you pass the cheese sauce, Phil?" I hissed to Phil, indicating to the sealed tub to his right. Phil reached out a hand but was stopped by Dan, who swept his arm down and handed the tub to me. I raised an eyebrow at him, straining against my will to smile at his charming, yet slightly goofy, expression as I reached for the tub.

Dan lifted it from my reach and peeled back the lid himself, carelessly dropping it into the sink beside him. He then lowered the pot down onto the side and dipped his first three fingers on both hands into the cheese sauce.

"Ew, Dan. What are you doing?" Shannon squirmed. Her voice sounded harsh, as if she had been hit by soberness.

Dan giggled as he held his fingers to my face. I flinched away slightly, grinning as Dan laughed. I ducked and tried to hind behind Phil as Dan reached for my face. He dragged his fingers across my cheeks, leaving three pale yellow sauce marks across each cheek. He lifted his hands away, but 'bopped' me on the nose first. He grinned at me proudly as Phil threw a towel to him. Dan scrabbled to catch it before regaining himself and wiping his fingers clean.

"What was that for?" I said through light laughter as I caught sight of my reflection in the shiny surface of the window. I had cat whiskers on my face in cheese sauce. Dan looked back up at me, his fringe shifting slightly as he flicked his head to knock it out of his eyes. He smiled at me, raising one corner of his mouth in the smile he usually fell into when he was going to be in a photo.

He moved across the kitchen to me, the tea towel still in hand. He tilted his head down to kiss me on the cheek, stepping back with the sauce on his lips, which he licked away. I widened my eyes at him, sucking in my lips as I tried to comprehend what he'd just done.

"You're so cute when your surprised," he purred to me, making my cheeks burn. Dan smirked at me as he moved to stand back next to Phil, pouring the rest of the cheese sauce in the pot, into the tray with the other ingredients.

I looked over at Shannon, who had since gone silent. Countless Muse songs continued to play from her iPod, but she'd turned the volume down slightly. Her eyes were dangerous as she squinted at me, her jaw set and her posture drawn tall. She twitched her nose before picking up her second glass of wine, leaning against the far counter and taking a sip. She looked like some domineering film villain, watching from afar as chaos ensued at her order.