Part 15- Bruised Heads, Burnt Fingers and Hungry Stomachs

I talked to Chris about Darcy on the way back to the apartment. Once I’d finished telling him what had happened and how I felt about it, we walked in silence for a while. Chris hadn’t asked me any questions as I’d told him. He’d nodded and made sympathetic sounds here and there, but he didn’t but in and carelessly knock my words aside.

We stopped off at a bakery on the way back; picking up donuts for us, with some spare ones for Dan and Phil, and hot chocolate. Chris still hadn’t said anything to me by the time we were out of the bakery; eating donuts and getting sugar and icing over our faces.

“You know,” Chris finally spoke through a mouthful of cinnamon donut, “Charlie and I thought that you deserved the part. Darcy is friends with a friend of Ben’s or something, and she only got the part in the first place because she was one of the people who offered to do the part. It wasn’t made for her or anything, if that’s what you think.”

I sunk my teeth into a chocolate donut, sugar coating my still lipstick covered lips. I swallowed my mouthful. “She was just so defensive about it.”

“That’s just Darcy,” Chris sighed as he raised his hot chocolate cup to his lips. “Like I said, she’s a very standoffish person. She’s almost like a ‘queen bee’ of the filming, or something.”

I rolled my eyes and followed him down the steps back to the Tube. “You mean a bitch?”

“Not necessarily,” Chris mused, looking over the crowd at the bottom of the steps before directing me towards the barriers and the train that we had to take. “She’s okay when she gets used to you.”

“I think you’re the only person who can speak for her in that way,” I snorted, “I mean, she does have a crush on you after all. Didn’t you notice how she literally turned to sugar when she started talking to you? She even says your name differently!”

Chris shook his head at me, smiling. He didn’t say anything else to me as we got onto the train, having to stand close to avoid the huge numbers of people which were crammed into the small space of the train carriage.

When we were off the train and heading back up to the surface, Chris shoved his hot chocolate cup into the bin and hid his hands in his pockets. I let the donut bag swing from my hand as I drank the last of my drink, where all of the powder had settled. Nice.

“Are you jealous of Darcy?”

I widened my eyes at him, almost falling over an uneven paving stone. “Am I what?”

“You, just, you got very defensive of Darcy very quickly, a-and you poke fun at her for having a crush on me. Why can’t she have a crush on me?” Chris stuttered, but at his question, his voice became hard and determined, like he really wanted to hear the answer.

Why was I pointing fun at Darcy’s crush on Chris? Of course she could fancy him! She should fancy him. So, why was I against that?

“Mia?” Chris said hesitantly. He sighed. “Look, I’m sorry. It’s none of my business. It’s probably some ‘girl code’ or something. Just forget it.” It felt as if he’d punched me in the gut. I couldn’t even figure out the answers for myself, so I had an idea of how ridiculous I must be behaving.

I dropped my cup into a bin and speed walked to catch up with Chris, whose face was now expressionless. He kept his gaze forward as I hurried beside him, blanking me completely. A new type of guilt began to push down on my shoulders.

We soon came up outside Dan and Phil’s building, and we still hadn’t said anything to each other. I didn’t want to argue with Chris; he was one of my best friends. I stepped towards him and linked my fingers together at his back, staying there until her hugged me back.