Part 19- Link and Zelda

“Portobello Road?” I stammered, “As in, Portobello Road from the film ‘Bedknobs and Broomsticks’?”

Dan chuckled and reached into his camera bag to get his camera. “The very same.”

I looked around the street, awestruck. As a child, ‘Bedknobs and Broomsticks’ had been my favourite film (and I highly recommend that you go and watch it if you haven’t yet). There was a scene in the film where all of the main characters went around Portobello Road market trying on costumes, buying food, searching for a magic spell book, just your usual.

I turned my head back to Dan to see him filming me. I beamed at the camera and mouthed ‘wow’ before spinning back round to look everywhere.

Dan stepped up next to me, whilst still filming and smiled at the camera lens. “Hello Internet! I’m here with Mia at the moment and we are at Portobello Road’s market!” I gave a whoop and waved at the camera. “And then you guys are joining us.”

“Because we love you!” I cheered, ironically doing a hand heart and looking over it to the camera. Dan and I squeezed our eyes shut, bared our teeth in wide smiles and then Dan stopped filming.

I knew that we both had ‘jobs’ as YouTubers, but did Dan really need to vlog this day of all days? It made me feel like I was here on show or something, and not for a romantic day with Dan.

Dan took my hand in his and raised the camera above the crowd with his other hand, helping to get a panorama of the surrounding area, before we jumped into the crowds.

Dan stopped filming for a little while, letting his camera hang around his neck. He was now wound up in straps for his camera bag, tripod and now his actual camera. He tried to rearrange the straps a little to get to his jacket pocket, but he only managed to get himself more knotted up.

I giggled at him before instructing him to hold still as we took shelter from the pulsing crowd next to an old fashioned sweet stall. Dan was like a statue as I took of each of the three straps in turn. I put the strap for his tripod over my head and slid and an arm through the strap as well, so that the stand was against my back like a quiver full of arrows. Dan protested as I handed him the camera and camera bag back to him, but I refused to take the tripod off until he needed to use it.

“You can’t carry all three, Dan,” I tried to persuade him. “And besides, if you were carrying all three, I’d feel bad for not helping you anyway.” Dan bit his lip, which was a motion that caused my heart to do a cartwheel. I have the sexiest boyfriend ever, no doubt about it.

“Do you want some sweets?” he asked, changing the topic of conversation as he indicated to the stall behind us.

“What sort of question is that?” I teased him with a grin. Dan rolled his eyes as we went through the sweets, choosing what we wanted. Dan then took some pictures of the square, including ones of the sweet stall, the stall which was selling old fashioned cameras, and then a vintage gaming stall, where we spent a long time feeling nostalgic as gaming music played from an iPod dock at the back of the stall.

We then came to some food stalls, where Dan started asking for the most bizarre types of food; dried cherries, watercress, a small bottle of red wine and chocolate covered popcorn. When he first bought the cherries I did ask him what they were for, to which he only tapped his nose in reply. After the cherries, I gave up asking and just went along with it.

There was one stall which sold fancy dress costumes, and we stayed there trying on costumes for well over half an hour. We tried on pirate costumes, animal costumes, medieval costumes and even a costume which was supposedly meant to be a fish, but it looked like someone had simply thrown a load of glitter, glue and sequins onto the skin-tight material. We only left when the owner of the stall told us that we had to buy something or that he’d be forced to make us leave. Dan bought two costumes and hid them in a bag from me before we left the market, leaving the rainbow colours, constant chatter of the public along with the sweet and sour smells of food, behind.