Part 30- The Failure That Is Our Lives

Later that night, once we'd dropped Lynn off at her house and Phil had said goodbye, Dan, Phil and I returned back to their flat. Dan and I had tried to interrogate Phil on the journey back to find out if they'd kissed goodbye. He wouldn't tell us, but he wouldn't stop smiling.

After scaling the stairs by dragging ourselves up by the hand railings, I left Dan and Phil collapsed on the floor in the hall with exhaustion, as I went to change out of my still slightly damp clothes and have a shower.

I showered, changed my clothes and tried to calm myself down again by dressing in my largest jumper and a pair of tracksuit bottoms. I left the bathroom in the same state that I'd gone in there to; hiding any evidence of my toiletries from sight.

I passed Dan in the hallway outside the bathroom, as I went back to his room and he went to shower after me. We exchanged smiles as we passed, but then hurried off in separate directions in the hope of finding a source of warmth.

Dan's room was warm. The heating was turned up, and his dark duvet was thick as I crawled under it, hiding under the dense covers. I reached a hand out for my laptop and turned it on, readily awaiting the warmth of the underside of my laptop as it overheated (yay).

I was just falling back into my internet browsing position, with my laptop warming my sensitive stomach and my whole body relaxing into the familiar pose, when Dan came back into the room, smelling strongly of his shower gel and dressed in similar lounging clothes to me. He snatched up his laptop and sat down next to me, sharing the duvet as we lay closely together.

"Are you alright, Mia?" Dan asked casually as we scrolled through the internet on our separate laptops.

"Hm? Oh, yeah, I'm fine. You?"

"I'm good. But, er, are you-? Er..." Dan had stopped scrolling and sat staring at the laptop keys uncomfortably. I raised my eyebrows at him and stopped scrolling through my Tumblr dash. My mind jumped to suspicious conclusions about what he wanted to say. Ranging from 'are you ill?' to 'are you in the mood for ice-cream?'. I guess I could say yes to either of those questions.

"Are you on your period?" Dan rushed, flinching with every word he said. We sat in silence. "I-I know I'm not meant to ask, and that if I'm wrong then you'll kill me, but if I'm right you'll kill me. I noticed you keep leaving to go to the toilet, and I-"

I blushed crimson and fidgeted slightly. "Yeah..."

"You are?"

"Uh-huh."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Dan said irritably. "I wouldn't have made you go on our spying mission if I'd known!"

"Do you think a period is a disease or something, Daniel?" I teased him. Dan tensed up his shoulders and then shrugged ever so slightly. "You tit, Dan! Didn't you learn anything from your video with Carrie?" I smiled to myself as I remembered how awkward Dan had become during that video, when Carrie had been lecturing him about periods.

"Yes, I should have told you sooner as to avoid this a little better, but I am capable of carrying on with my life as usual," I told him quietly.

"So, you're not going to snap my neck?"

I chuckled and shook my head. "Obviously not." Dan let out a sigh of relief. "Jesus, Dan. How do you even have female friends if you get that het up about periods?"

"Come on, you have to admit it's a little scary when a girl becomes a murderer for a week at a time!" Dan said with an eye roll.

"Hm, fair point. But we don't all become monsters. Okay, some girls do."

Dan smiled at me unsurely. "It wasn't mood swings which gave it away, by the way. You only had morning bad moods, which were minute compared to Phil's morning grouches."